The University of Manchester
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
The University of Manchester offers a perfect environment to students considering a master's or postgraduate study. Part of the prestigious Russell Group, the university enjoys an international reputation for pioneering research and innovation. With close links to industry and a commitment to making a difference, students learn from world-leading academics on courses and programmes informed by the latest knowledge.
Postgraduate Student Statistics
12,590 postgraduate students in 2016–17
Mode of study
- Full Time 74%
- Part Time 26%
- UK 51%
- EU 6%
- Other 42%
Numbers of Students by Subject Area
|Business & Management Studies||155||1500||1650|
|Electrical & Electronic Engineering||175||225||395|
|Pharmacology & Pharmacy||85||280||365|
|Accounting & Finance||35||300||335|
|Anatomy & Physiology||225||25||250|
|Physics & Astronomy||180||60||240|
|Town & Country Planning and Landscape Design||20||145||165|
|Librarianship & Information Management||10||140||150|
|Hospitality, Leisure, Recreation & Tourism||0||140||140|
|Geography & Environmental Science||40||95||135|
|Aeronautical & Manufacturing Engineering||30||85||115|
|Aural & Oral Sciences||15||80||95|
|Theology & Religious Studies||20||20||35|
|Classics & Ancient History||10||15||25|
|Drama, Dance & Cinematics||20||10||25|
|Land & Property Management||0||25||25|
|Communication & Media Studies||5||15||25|
|History of Art, Architecture & Design||10||5||10|
|Russian & East European Languages||10||0||10|
|Middle Eastern & African Studies||5||5||5|
|East & South Asian Studies||5||5||5|
|Agriculture & Forestry||5||0||5|
|Art & Design||5||0||5|
Figures are rounded to the nearest five.
Postgraduate Tuition Fees
The following are the typical annual course fees for postgraduate students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2018–2019). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- Manchester provides funding for a large number of postgraduate students each year, with awards through the UK's seven research councils, as well as by the university.
- Postgraduate research students may also be eligible for the President's Doctoral Scholar (PDS) award. The scheme offers over 100 elite postgraduate research studentships per year and is open to students of all nationalities and across all research areas. All PDS award-holders can access a bespoke suite of training activities, focused around the university's three core goals: world-class research, outstanding learning and student experience, and social responsibility.
Accommodation for Postgraduate Students
- All non-EU international postgraduate students are guaranteed a place in university-owned accommodation throughout their studies, providing they are coming to university alone, and have submitted an application for accommodation by the deadline in the autumn they intend to start their course.
- Other postgraduate students not covered by the accommodation guarantee are still welcome to apply for university accommodation.