The University of Manchester
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
- At Manchester, we’re at the forefront for solutions to some of the world’s most pressing problems, from tackling cancer to addressing global inequalities.
- We’ve been accomplishing feats of global significance for more than 180 years, from inventing the modern computer to giving the world graphene – the wonder-material that is one atom thick but 200 times stronger than steel.
- And through our teaching, research, public events and other activities, we contribute to the social and economic well-being of local and global communities.
What do Postgraduate Students Study?
The 11,865 postgraduate students enrolled in the academic year 2014/15 comprise:
Mode of study
- Full Time 71%
- Part Time 29%
- UK 52%
- EU 7%
- Other 41%
Numbers of Students by Subject Area
|Business & administrative studies||184||2161||2345|
|Engineering & technology||635||1299||1934|
|Subjects allied to medicine||376||639||1015|
|Medicine & dentistry||182||804||986|
|Historical & philosophical studies||105||105||210|
|Creative arts & design||47||100||147|
|Architecture, building & planning||23||110||133|
|Mass communications & documentation||11||43||54|
|Agriculture & related subjects||7||0||7|
Type of Qualification:
Postgraduate Fees and Funding
The following are the typical annual course fees for postgraduate students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2016–2017):
|Type of Course||Taught Postgraduate|
Bursaries and Scholarships
- Manchester provides funding for a large number of postgraduate students each year, through funding provided by the UK’s seven research councils, as well as awards made directly by the university.
- Postgraduate research students may also be eligible for the President’s Doctoral Scholar (PDS) award.
- We offer more than 100 awards each year to the most outstanding students from across the globe, across all subject areas.
- All PDS award-holders can access a bespoke suite of training activities, including advanced training in leadership, publication and time management.