EQUIS Accreditation by EFMD
A guide to the EQUIS accreditation process
The fundamental objective of the EFMD Quality Improvement System (EQUIS) is to raise the standard of management education worldwide. It has been designed as an international accreditation system rather than one rooted in any particular national system.
- EQUIS is not primarily focussed on the MBA or any other specific programme – its scope covers all programmes offered by an institution from the first degree up to the Ph.D. EQUIS has accredited 142 institutions representing 39 countries.
- Institutions accredited by EQUIS must demonstrate not only high general quality in all dimensions of their activities, but also a high degree of internationalisation. As companies recruit worldwide and students choose to get their education outside their home countries, schools and institutions are building alliances across borders and continents and there is a rapidly growing need for them to be able to identify those institutions in other countries that deliver high quality education in international management.
- EQUIS assesses institutions as a whole, not just the degree programmes but all the activities and sub-units of the institution, including research, e-learning units, executive education provision and community outreach. Institutions must be primarily devoted to management education.
- EQUIS looks for a balance between high academic quality and the professional relevance provided by close interaction with the corporate world. EQUIS attaches particular importance to the creation of an effective learning environment that favours the development of students’ managerial and entrepreneurial skills, and fosters their sense of global responsibility. It looks for innovation in all respects, including programme design and pedagogy.
- EQUIS is operated by the Quality Services Unit of the European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD), supported by a broad international body of academics and professionals. Final decisions on the granting of EQUIS are made by a separate, independent EQUIS Awarding Body. EFMD is an international membership organization based in Brussels, Belgium. It has more than 780 member organizations from academia, business, public service and consultancy in 81 countries. EFMD is recognized globally as an accreditation body of quality in management education and has established accreditation services for business schools (EQUIS) and business school programmes (EPAS), corporate universities (CLIP), and technology-enhanced learning programmes (CEL).
EQUIS quality standards
- The following list comprises the ten quality standards which are reviewed during EQUIS accreditation. Detailed descriptions of the criteria against which these areas are measured can be found on the EFMD website, What is EQUIS? under the link EQUIS Documents.
- Content, governance and strategy
- Research and development
- Executive education
- Resources and administration
- Ethics, responsibility and sustinability
- Corporate connections