- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
Newcastle College offers over 70 full-time and part-time foundation degrees, honours degree (top-ups), three-year honours degrees and masters programmes. The college has been awarded taught degree awarding powers: this means it is able to develop and award its own degrees, just like a university.
UCAS Code: N23
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Silver is awarded to institutions that deliver high-quality teaching, learning and outcomes for their students, and consistently exceed "rigorous national quality requirements" for higher education in the UK. Find out more about TEF.
Student Services and Facilities
Libraries and Information Services
- A library on campus opens six days a week (with shorter hours on Friday and Saturday). It has over 35,000 printed books as well as e-journals and online resources.
- Placement Officers can assist students with finding part-time work.
- The majority of degrees offer work-placement opportunities and students have access to industry-standard facilities and real working environments. The strong industry links held by NCG increase employability prospects, with industry-experienced tutors able to offer invaluable advice and guidance to students.
Counselling and Mental Health Support
- The college provides a safe and private space for students to openly explore issues they may be experiencing in a way that may not be possible with friends and family.
- Counselling sessions normally last around 50 minutes and are entirely confidential, in accordance with the British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (BACP) guidelines.
- The college's higher education support team works with students who have a disability, specific learning difference, mental health difficulty or long term medical condition.
- Support may include Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) advice and guidance, including arrangements for BSL interpreters, communication support workers and sighted guiders, alternative assessment plans as well as arranging screening and diagnostic dyslexia assessments.
- The Students’ Union offers a wide variety of clubs and societies, regular events, and advice on issues such as housing, mental health, and staying safe.
- Newcastle College Students’ Union is an affiliated member of the National Union of Student (NUS) meaning that students can apply for an NUS Extra discount card.
- The Students' Union runs the Freshers' Fair and Welfare Week events.
- Newcastle College was formed in 1972, on the merger to two further education and technical colleges. Its origins date back to 1894 and the foundation of Rutherford Memorial College.
- Today, the college is a division of Newcastle College Group (NCG), a major education, training and employability organisation in the North East.
Notable Alumni and Famous Faces
- Perry Edwards – singer in popular group Little Mix.
- Ant and Dec – television presenters.
- Joe McElderry – X factor winner 2009.
- Michelle Heaton – former member of Liberty X, singer, actress.
- Ross Noble – stand up comedian and actor.
Newcastle College, Rye Hill Campus, Scotswood Road, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, NE4 7SA