- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
Newcastle University is a world-class university with a history dating back to 1834 and a proud tradition of excellence. As well as delivering ground-breaking research it is committed to providing students with a high-quality learning and teaching experience on a global scale. Its campus is at the heart of a great student city, beautiful and friendly, known for its arts and culture, sport, shopping and nightlife.
UCAS Code: N21
League Table Scores
The average UCAS tariff score of new students entering the university.Read more
A guide to how satisfied students are with the quality of teaching they receive.Read more
A measure of the quality of the research undertaken in the university.Read more
A measure of the proportion of staff involved in high-quality research in the university.Read more
A guide to the employability of graduates on completion of their courses at the university.Read more
The average staffing levels at the university.Read more
Academic Services Spend
A guide to how much the university spends on supporting services such as libraries and IT.Read more
A guide to how much the university spends on supporting facilities such as the careers service, health and counselling services and sport facilities.Read more
The percentage of graduates achieving a first or upper second class honours degree – the class of degree achieved can impact a graduate’s employment prospects.Read more
The proportion of students expected to successfully complete their studies and gain a degree from the university.Read more
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Gold is awarded to institutions that consistently deliver outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for their students. Find out more about TEF.
Level of study
- Undergraduate 75%
- Postgraduate 25%
Mode of study
- Full Time 94%
- Part Time 6%
Where students come from
- UK 74%
- EU 5%
- Other 21%
- Male 48%
- Female 52%
Type of Qualification:
Student Services and Facilities
- The university library service is the only one in the UK to be awarded 5 Charter Marks in a row for excellent customer service and two prestigious Customer Service Excellent awards.
- As well as the main library, there are libraries in the Medical School and Law School. These house over one million print books, half a million e-books, a computerised online catalogue and 600 computers.
- Newcastle's popularity as a regional centre and tourist destination means that plenty of part-time work is available for students.
- The Careers Service provides a variety of tools to help students find part-time work while they are studying and full-time work in the holidays, including an online job search facility.
- There are also jobs on campus: the on-campus job agency matches students with temporary or casual work assignments within the university.
- Newcastle graduates benefit from careers support and business start-up support for up to three years after graduation.
- Advice and support from the award-winning Careers Service includes one-to-one sessions with a careers adviser, drop-in CV checks, academic modules, online resources, and skills development workshops covering topics such as how to succeed at interviews.
- The Graduate Connections online networking tool enables current students to access the careers-related knowledge and experience of past graduates.
- Students with entrepreneurial ideas are supported by a dedicated team of business advisers, a programme of workshops, and access to workspace. The university has a good record of supporting students, with 156 start-up businesses currently trading, creating 421 full-time equivalent jobs between them.
- An online job search facility includes vacation work, placements and internships, and a searchable directory of over 600 graduate employers in the North East. The university's internship programme offers Newcastle University students paid placements in local businesses.
- Newcastle University is committed to the physical and mental well-being of all students.
- All students are encouraged to register with a doctor on arrival; the university facilitates this with an on-campus registration service.
- In addition, the university actively contacts all students to raise awareness of the signs and symptoms of meningitis and the ACWY vaccine.
- The Newcastle University Counselling team provide support for students who may be struggling with life concerns which cause unmanageable emotional or psychological distress.
- Students are linked to the correct internal or external support system via an assessment process.
- The service is free of charge and available to all current students, offering daily appointments. During term-time, there is also a counselling service on some evenings.
- Advice, information, and guidance is available to disabled applicants and students at all stages of their university career.
- The service liaises with academic schools regarding students' support requirements, and external agencies where appropriate.
- The service provides specialist study skills support for students with specific learning difficulties. The service facilitates the Asperger's and Autism Support Network (AASN) to enable students to engage with and develop peer support networks.
Other services and facilities
- There are over 3000 networked computers across campus, many accessible 24/7, plus free Wi-Fi across campus.
- Students have access to their own Virtual Learning Environment (VLE), with 24/7 access to reading lists and course handouts, and online discussions with tutors and fellow students. The university has one of the largest and most comprehensive lecture capture services (ReCap) in the UK, allowing students to revisit selected lectures online.
- Dedicated maths and writing support is available for students of any discipline, and the option to learn a language for free, with access to facilities in the award-winning Language Resource Centre.
- A number of subject-specific facilities on and off-campus include two farms, a marine laboratory and vessel, and purpose-built music studios.
- NUSU has over 200 student societies and sports clubs covering different sports, subjects, cultural interests, politics, and religion. There's also the Courier weekly student newspaper, Newcastle Student Radio, broadcasting 24 hours daily, and TCTV (The Courier Television).
- Go Volunteer, a community volunteering scheme, aims to make sure students get the most out of their time at Newcastle. Over 150 projects to get involved with, help students develop the skills employers look for, supplement their degree course, support the local community and make new friends.
- The Give It a Go Scheme programme offers one-off taster activities to help students make the most of their spare time, while the Go Play programme lets students try a new sport under the guidance and support of coaches, with no experience or commitment necessary.
- Newcastle University has a history of teaching dating back to 1834 when the School of Medicine and Surgery was established.
- Known as University of Newcastle upon Tyne from 1963, the university changed its name to Newcastle University in 2006.
- Newcastle University is a founding member of The Russell Group.
- In 1967 Dr Martin Luther King Jr visited Newcastle University and was awarded an honorary degree. To mark 50 years since his visit a bronze statue was unveiled at the university in 2017.
Notable Alumni and Famous Faces
- Rowan Atkinson CBE − actor, comedian and screenwriter.
- Ann Cairns − President of International Markets for MasterCard.
- Dr Chiau Beng Choo − former CEO of Keppel Corporation Limited.
- George Clarke − Architect, presenter and writer.
- His Excellency Alexander John Gosse Downer AC − Australian High Commissioner to the United Kingdom.
- Graham Wylie – founder of Sage, and entrepreneur.
- Sir Terry Farrell CBE − architect planner.
- Bryan Ferry CBE − singer songwriter
- Chris Gibson-Smith − business leader and former chair of the London Stock Exchange.
- Anna Jones − CEO at Hearst Magazines UK, including brands such as Cosmopolitan, Elle, Esquire and Red.
Newcastle University, Student Services, King's Gate, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU