- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Why Study Here?
- We have a cosmopolitan campus with over 4,000 international students from over 120 different countries.
- Our campus is located right in the heart of Newcastle’s vibrant city centre.
- We are ranked in the top 1% of world universities (QS World University Rankings 2014–15).
- We are a top 20 UK university (The Complete University Guide 2015).
- We are a world top 200 university (QS World University Rankings 2014–15).
- We are 16th in the UK for research power (Research Excellence Framework 2014).
- We have a high student satisfaction score (National Student Survey 2014).
- We have multi-award-winning careers and library services.
- We have a state-of-the-art INTO Newcastle University Centre on campus.
- We are one of the top sporting universities in the UK.
- All of our Student Services such as accommodation, wellbeing, finance and careers can be found in one building, King’s Gate, making it convenient for you to access the services you need.
What Do International Students Study?
English Language Requirements
- Most of our courses require an IELTS score of 6.5 or equivalent or above.
- Some courses, such as Law, require an IELTS 7.0, whereas some of our Engineering courses accept IELTS 6.0.
Fees and Funding
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2016–2017):
|Type of Course||Undergraduate||Taught Postgraduate|
Bursaries and Scholarships
- Newcastle University International Undergraduate Merit Scholarship – more information on this and other country specific scholarships can be found on our website.
Pre-Arrival and Welcome
- We offer pre-arrival support, answering students questions by email while they are preparing to leave their home countries for Newcastle.
- Every September we hold International Welcome Week for all new international students
- During this week, we provide a free Airport Meet and Greet Service where we give students a welcome pack full of information, and some essential snacks as well as picking them up and taking them to their accommodation.
- During the rest of the week, students are on campus attending various information sessions about the university, the city and being a student in the UK. In the evenings, they have the opportunity to attend a programme of social events such as a quiz, tour of the city, trip to the cinema and much more. These events are organised by our Students' Union.
Accommodation for International Students
- Accommodation is guaranteed for the first year of study, provided that the student has met certain conditions. A full list of these conditions can be found on our website.
- Both self-catered and catered accommodation is available, and internet access is provided.
- International students are placed across university accommodation and do not have to move out of their accommodation during the Christmas and Easter vacations.
- Most accommodation sites are within ten minutes' walk of the campus. Some are a little further out, but nothing more than a short Metro or bus journey away.
- Prices range from £79 to £155 per week, depending on the type of accommodation.
Organisations for International Students
- The Students’ Union has a long list of societies, all of which international students are welcome to join.
- As part of this, there is a specific International Society as well as societies for students from certain countries or regions such as Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Kazakhstan and Mediterranean countries.
- As well as our Newcastle campus we have recently opened Newcastle University London.
- Based in the UK's capital city it offers Newcastle University degrees designed by our triple-accredited Business School, as well as a range of university preparation programmes.
- We also have our campus in Malaysia, NUMED, and the Singapore Institute of Technology.
- Individual enquiries for these campuses must be made through the respective websites.