- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Newcastle University is one of the top 150 universities in the world (QS World University Rankings 2020), and is a global leader in ageing and health, data, culture and the creative arts, cities, and energy. The university has a community of students and alumni from 140 countries around the world and provides Gold-rated teaching (TEF 2017). Its beautiful campus is a mixture of green space with both historical and modern architecture, located right in the centre of Newcastle.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Gold is awarded to institutions that consistently deliver outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for their students. Find out more about TEF.
International Student Statistics
5,140 international students in 2017–18
International students can expect a warm welcome to Newcastle, including:
- Dedicated Support and Visa teams that can be contacted by phone, email or social media.
- An airport meet and greet service, providing free transport from Newcastle Airport to university accommodation.
- An International Welcome Week, with information and social events.
- Freshers' Week, with over 300 events and activities to help students explore the city and make new friends.
English Language Requirements
- Most courses require an IELTS score of 6.5 with no less than 5.5 in writing, reading, speaking, and listening (or equivalent). For some courses the required score will be higher, please refer to the university website for details.
Students do not need to prove their English ability if, in the preceding three years, they have completed:
- Either two academic years of undergraduate degree-level study in an English-speaking country or 12 months of a master's-level programme, in the UK or in an English-speaking country approved by the university.
- Or if a student has sat GCSE in English Language, a Grade C is acceptable for entry as long as the student has been taught and assessed in English in their pre-university qualifications.
Accommodation for International Students
- All students are guaranteed accommodation for their first year of study, provided that they meet certain conditions. A full list of these conditions can be found on the university website.
- Both self-catered and catered accommodation is available, and there are a small number of family flats. Internet access is provided.
- International students are placed across university accommodation and do not have to move out during Christmas and Easter vacations. International undergraduate students are guaranteed accommodation for the full duration of their course.
- Most accommodation sites are within 10 minutes' walk of the campus. Some are a little further out, but nothing more than a short Metro or bus journey away.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- The university invests millions of pounds in bursaries and scholarships to support international undergraduate and postgraduate students to study in Newcastle. Please refer to the university website for details.
- Newcastle University offers a range of services to help international students once on campus; these include a careers service, assistance with essay writing, a proof-reading service, free English language support, and help from the visa team.