- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Newcastle University is one of the top 200 universities in the world (QS World University Rankings 2018) as well as in the UK's top 25 universities (The Complete University Guide 2019). Its beautiful campus is a mixture of green space with old and modern architecture, located right in the centre of Newcastle.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Gold is awarded to institutions that consistently deliver outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for their students. Find out more about TEF.
International Student Statistics
5,395 international students in 2016–17
Welcome ArrangementsInternational students can expect a warm welcome to Newcastle, including:
- Support and visa teams that can be contacted by phone, email or social media.
- Airport meet and greet service, providing free transport from Newcastle Airport to university accommodation.
- International Welcome Week, with information and social events.
- Freshers' Week, with over 300 events and activities to help students explore the city and make new friends.
English Language Requirements
- Most courses require an IELTS score of 6.5 with no less than 5.5 in writing, reading, speaking, and listening (or equivalent);
- For some courses the required score will be higher, please refer to the university website for details.
Accommodation for International Students
- All students are guaranteed accommodation for their first year of study, provided that they meet certain conditions. A full list of these conditions can be found on the university website.
- Both self-catered and catered accommodation is available and Internet access is provided.
- International students are placed across university accommodation and do not have to move out during Christmas and Easter vacations.
- Most accommodation sites are within ten minutes' walk of the campus. Some are a little further out, but nothing more than a short Metro or bus journey away.
- A small number of family flats are available.
International Tuition Fees
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2018–2019). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Undergraduate (£)||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.