- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
Newcastle University is in the UK's top 25 universities (The Complete University Guide 2019) and its graduates are in demand; the university offers strong links with local, national, and international employers and an award-winning careers service. With an annual research income of over £100 million, the university's research can have global impact; and students are offered a range of funding opportunities.
Postgraduate Student Statistics
6,360 postgraduate students in 2016–17
Mode of study
- Full Time 77%
- Part Time 23%
- UK 53%
- EU 9%
- Other 38%
Numbers of Students by Subject Area
|Business & Management Studies||80||460||535|
|Electrical & Electronic Engineering||120||255||380|
|Accounting & Finance||5||240||240|
|Anatomy & Physiology||200||0||200|
|Communication & Media Studies||15||155||170|
|Agriculture & Forestry||65||90||155|
|Librarianship & Information Management||25||85||110|
|Town & Country Planning and Landscape Design||5||85||85|
|Geography & Environmental Science||45||25||70|
|Aural & Oral Sciences||0||45||45|
|Physics & Astronomy||40||0||40|
|Art & Design||15||15||30|
|Drama, Dance & Cinematics||0||20||20|
|Classics & Ancient History||5||10||10|
|East & South Asian Studies||5||0||5|
|Pharmacology & Pharmacy||5||0||5|
Figures are rounded to the nearest five.
The following are the typical annual course fees for postgraduate students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2017–2018). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- Funding is available to UK, EU and non-EU international students, with a variety of fully funded and partially funded scholarships and studentship opportunities.
- Funding for postgraduate study comes from a variety of different sources including Newcastle University, charities, UK Research Councils, alumni donations, industrial and commercial companies and external scholarship organisations.
- The university provides a range of tuition fee discount schemes and fee instalment plans.
- Please refer to the university website where there is a funding database, updated on a weekly basis, to make the search for funding as easy as possible.
Accommodation for Postgraduate Students
- All postgraduate students are guaranteed university or university managed partnership accommodation for the first year (terms and conditions apply).
- All postgraduate accommodation is self-catering and located on, or close to campus.
- Please refer to the university website for further details.