- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
Newcastle University is one of the top 150 universities in the world (QS World University Rankings 2019), and is a global leader in ageing and health, data, culture and the creative arts, cities, and energy. The university works with partnerships around the world to address society's biggest issues. Its graduates are in high demand; students benefit from the university's strong links with local, national, and international employers and an award-winning careers service.
Postgraduate Student Statistics
6,613 postgraduate students in 2017–18
Mode of study
- Full Time 78%
- Part Time 22%
- UK 53%
- EU 9%
- Other 38%
Numbers of Students by Subject Area
|Business & Management Studies||95||585||685|
|Electrical & Electronic Engineering||115||225||340|
|Communication & Media Studies||15||235||250|
|Accounting & Finance||5||200||210|
|Anatomy & Physiology||205||0||205|
|Agriculture & Forestry||50||90||140|
|Town & Country Planning and Landscape Design||5||90||95|
|Librarianship & Information Management||25||65||90|
|Geography & Environmental Science||45||25||70|
|Aural & Oral Sciences||5||40||40|
|Physics & Astronomy||40||0||40|
|Art & Design||15||20||35|
|Drama, Dance & Cinematics||5||25||25|
|Classics & Ancient History||0||10||10|
|Pharmacology & Pharmacy||5||0||5|
Figures are rounded to the nearest five.
Postgraduate Tuition Fees
The following are the typical annual course fees for postgraduate students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2018–2019). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- There are a range of funding opportunities available to UK postgraduate students, including bursaries, fully-funded and partially-funded scholarships and studentships, alumni discounts, and a tuition fee instalment plan.
- Funding for postgraduate study comes from a variety of different sources including Newcastle University, charities, UK Research Councils, alumni donations, industrial and commercial companies and external scholarship organisations.
- Please refer to the university website where there is a funding database, updated on a weekly basis, to make the search for funding as easy as possible.
Accommodation for Postgraduate Students
- All postgraduate students are guaranteed university or university managed partnership accommodation for the first year (terms and conditions apply).
- The university offers many different styles of accommodation. All postgraduate accommodation is self-catering and located on, or close to campus.
- Please refer to the university website for further details.