- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
The average UCAS tariff score of new students entering the University. These tables use the old UCAS tariff.Read more
A guide to how satisfied students are with the quality of teaching they receive.Read more
A measure of the quality of the research undertaken in the University.Read more
A measure of the proportion of staff involved in high-quality research in the University.Read more
A guide to the employability of graduates on completion of their courses at the University.Read more
The average staffing levels at the University.Read more
Academic Services Spend
A guide to how much the University spends on supporting services such as libraries and IT.Read more
A guide to how much the University spends on supporting facilities such as the careers service, health and counselling services and sport facilities.Read more
The percentage of graduates achieving a first or upper second class honours degree – the class of degree achieved can impact a graduate’s employment prospects.Read more
The proportion of students expected to successfully complete their studies and gain a degree from the University.Read more
Newman University is situated in the south of Birmingham, 8 miles from the city centre. A truly distinctive university, Newman believes that education is about developing the whole person and nurturing independent and critical thinking.
Entry requirements vary by course but for most courses the following requirements apply:
- Single and Combined Honours You will normally need to have at least grades BC or above at A2 level; plus five GCSEs (or equivalent) including English Language at grade C or above. Some Single and Combined Honours courses will require qualifications in a particular subject at A level or GCSE. Please see the course specific entry profile for more information.
- Primary Initial Teacher Education You will normally need at least grades BC or above at A2 level (AS General studies is not considered) plus you will have passed five GCSEs (or equivalent) including English Language, Mathematics and a science-related subject at grade C or above prior to application. Recent and relevant work experience in the last two years in a British Primary School setting is also require before the interview. Please remember that applicants to the Initial Teacher Training courses will also need to undergo a DBS check.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Silver is awarded to institutions that deliver high-quality teaching, learning and outcomes for their students, and consistently exceed "rigorous national quality requirements" for higher education in the UK. Find out more about TEF.
- Most teaching takes place in small workshop style classes, offering outstanding interactive teaching.
- Discussing and debating issues is encouraged to develop deeper understanding.
- All undergraduate degree programmes provide students with an opportunity to gain relevant work experience.
- Students can study abroad as part of their undergraduate degree.
- Most courses combine essential modules with a range of optional modules to allow students to specialise in areas of interest.
Student Services and Facilities
- Newman library includes 100,000 books and over 300 journal subscriptions including e-journals.
- The library also provides computers, study pods and presentation booths.
- Social spaces include a coffee outlet, and a student bar hosting events including talent shows, comedy acts and theme nights.
- Student Support staff can offer practical support and advice, including information on additional funding.
- Newman University works hard to facilitate inclusive study approaches and individual arrangements where required.
- Please refer to the university website for details.
- Newman Students' Union is a charity run by students for students.
- It provides a range of services designed to enhance student life, including career development opportunities, social activities and representation for students within the university.
- There are many societies open to join - from Anime to History - and much more, plus there are opportunities to start new societies.
Availability of Part-Time Work
- Birmingham city centre offers a wealth of opportunities for part-time work,
- Many students also work on campus in areas such as housekeeping, the student bar or the sports centre.
- There are opportunities to join the team of Student Ambassadors, who represent Newman University in a professional capacity at open days, interview days and other events.
- The careers service provides information, advice and guidance on all aspects of careers and work related learning, in a friendly, inclusive, impartial and supportive setting.
- Students can access a range of services, including mock interviews, CV tips and skills reflections.
- Workshops and careers fairs are held throughout the year.
Level of study
- Undergraduate 80%
- Postgraduate 20%
Mode of study
- Full Time 75%
- Part Time 25%
Where students come from
- UK 99%
- Male 24%
- Female 76%
- Newman University was founded in 1968 to train teachers.
- The university has expanded to provide undergraduate, postgraduate and foundation degrees across a range of subject areas.
- The institution gained university status in 2013.
|Address||Newman University Genners Lane Bartley Green Birmingham B32 3NT|