The University of Northampton
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
- 4.14 / 5.00
- 2.09 / 4.00
- 0.25 / 1.00
- 59.4 / 100.0
- 66.3 / 100.0
- 85.8 / 100.0
- Founded from a marriage of Northampton's colleges of art, technology and education, which formed Nene College of Higher Education in 1975.
- In February 1999 it became University College Northampton.
- Gained university status and the power to award its own research degrees in 2005 and became the University of Northampton.
Location and Transport
- Set in the heart of England, Northamptonshire is the perfect combination of bustling urban life and countryside.
- With everything from premiership rugby, a purpose-built athletics stadium, motor racing and a white-water rafting centre, high-energy living is on offer around the clock in Northampton.
- At the town’s leading arts centre an exciting line-up of drama and dance, stand-up comedy, music and theatre attracts national audiences and media headlines.
- On the acclaimed Roadmender stage there is the chance to see some of the country's best up-and-coming bands in action – with performers suiting all musical tastes.
- As a perfect complement to the town’s leisure, sporting and cultural facilities, the countryside of Northamptonshire offers a relaxing haven of cycle ways and canals, historic homes and gardens.
- Getting here couldn't be easier, with both London and Birmingham an hour away by road and rail.
- From Northampton’s railway station, Avenue Campus is just a 10-minute walk or short bus journey away.
- Park Campus, just two miles from Avenue, is also only a short bus journey from the town centre.
- Northampton has the largest of the 24 National Enterprise Zones bringing in additional investment, development and graduate opportunities.
- The university is dedicated to encouraging widening participation.
- For information about entry standards visit the University of Northampton website.
- Grade requirements will vary by course and in some cases courses may have specific requirements.
The 13,285 students enrolled in the academic year 2014/15 comprise:
Level of study
- Undergraduate 82%
- Postgraduate 18%
Mode of study
- Full Time 72%
- Part Time 28%
- UK 89%
- EU 2%
- Other 9%
- Male 38%
- Female 62%
- Our course offering which includes an extensive range of study options and combinations to choose from including full and part-time uUndergraduate degrees, joint honours degrees, HNDs, foundation degrees, two-year fast track degree and top-up degree option have been created to provide a variety of options to provide you with a rounded experience.
- Many of our programmes offer opportunities to gain work experience this might involve a one-year full-time work placement, a shorter placement of individual work-based learning modules.
- We care about your future and provide a variety of opportunities ensure our dedication to your employability when you graduate, ensuring you shine brighter than the competition and secure the graduate role you deserve.
- Please check individual course programmes on our website for a breakdown of the options available.
- We are committed to providing our students with the very best learning experience possible.
- Our ambitious academic community undertakes extensive research and consultancy work, bringing real-world experiences and insights to their teaching.
- Our programmes have the perfect balance of theoretical learning, critical analysis and practical application.
- A signed partnership agreement with Northampton Town Football club provides many opportunities for industry relevant work placement and intern opportunities (offered on a selection of courses).
- Ranked 12th for Student Satisfaction (Complete University Guide 2016).
- Our students enjoy excellent employment opportunities and work experience placements, and benefit from continued employability support.
- We provide our graduates with key skills that employers value, while holistically integrating social enterprise into our teaching, learning and research, and working with local authorities, businesses and the wider community.
- DHLE statistics reveal that 96% of our graduates are in work or further study six months after completing their course.
- Designated an Ashoka U Changemaker Campus for our commitment to Social Enterprise.
- Entrepeneurial activities embedded within all our courses to enhance the students learning experience, inspire innovation, develop entrepreneurial skills and understand social values.
- In the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014, several research subject areas at the University of Northampton were recognised as 'world-leading': Allied Health Professions, Art and Design; English Language and Literature; History; Geography and Environmental Studies; and Education. 'International excellence' was identified in the University’s research within Business and Management Studies; Engineering and Psychology.
- Our social innovation and social impact, the great stuff we do, is based on internationally leading applied research. Our Institutes for Social Innovation and Impact; Health and Wellbeing; and Public Safety, Crime and Justice work with academic staff and students from all degree disciplines ensuring that what we find out through research is fed straight through to the people that need to know about it, our students.
- At Northampton we get our undergraduates involved in the process — designing and running experiments, gathering data, and working within the community.
- The 2015 National Student Survey revealed that the University of Northampton has 86% overall student satisfaction, with 13 courses receiving 100% overall satisfaction, and a further 21 receiving scores of 90% or more.
- The University of Northampton enjoys above sector average NSS scores in four of the seven categories – for teaching, assessment and feedback, academic support and personal development.
- The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA) has confirmed the quality and standards of provision at the University of Northampton following its review in October 2015. QAA reviewers visited the university and judged that its academic standards, the quality and enhancement of its student learning opportunities, and the quality of information about its learning opportunities all meet UK expectations. Singled out for praise was the university’s substantial engagement with employers and activities dedicated to enhancing student employability.
- In 2014 Ofsted rated our Initial Teacher Education as Good.
- The University of Northampton has always prided itself on its teaching excellence. This has been recognised nationally in the UK National Teaching Awards. Since these awards were established, five of our university staff have been recognised as National Teaching Fellows. This prestigious award recognises the contribution of individuals to the development of innovative teaching at the highest level, nationally and internationally.
Type of Qualification:
- Students can access the learning tools and information they need for a successful student experience via the online student hub, which allows students to view learning resources via our Skills Hub, read course handbooks and documents, access support and services, submit assignments through NILE (Northampton Integrated Learning Environment), and keep up to date with news and events
- Access across a range of platforms, including high-quality collections of books, journals, multimedia and internally generated resources such as research output.
- Flexible, varied and supportive learning services, including libraries at both Park and Avenue campuses and online environments, open to members of the university and the wider community.
- A range of timely and accessible learning support delivered online and face-to-face, embedded within courses or as personalised help.
- A contribution to the academic output of the University through research and professional engagement and to the University's wider role through its involvement in local, national and international communities of practice.
- Dedicated, specialist staff offering tailored support.
- State-of-the-art Student Centre with one-stop shop information.
- Two restaurants and a medical centre.
- Onsite shop to buy emergency groceries or supplies.
- Onsite Gym on Park Campus, providing a professional, convenient service to staff and students, with modern cardiovascular and resistance equipment.
- All students are able to download and use Microsoft Office 365 for free which includes the entire Office Suite as well as 1TB of online storage.
- Free wi-fi across both campuses using a secure Student ID and password.
- The university's Centre for Achievement and Performance (CfAP) is a resource for all students, offering free guidance and and tuition on any academic skill including essay writing, dissertations, critical analysis, presentation skills or maths and statistics.
- The university Centre for Employability and Engagement (UCEE) offers a unique employability service to all students and graduates. Building upon the university's commitment to social impact and innovation, the Centre works with students to develop the professional and personal skills needed to enter the workplace at a graduate level or to progress into further studies.
- Employability Plus is unique to the University of Northampton and provides the opportunity to gain more than just a good degree, it incentivises, rewards and recognises your investment in the activities you take part in outside of your degree programme, supporting you to 'Give More, Get More, Be More' by providing work opportunities, volunteering and social action experiences, development opportunities and employability support. Enabling you to gain experience that will make you stand out from the rest, while providing the opportunity to develop essential skills for your career.
The ASSIST Team is committed to ensuring students with disability-related needs can achieve their full potential. It offers a diverse range of support to include:
- Accessing Disabled Students' Allowance.
- Providing dyslexia screening tests.
- Arranging extra time in exams.
- Priority accommodation arrangements.
- One-to-one specialist study skills support.
- Led by students, backed by volunteers and staff, the University of Northampton Students’ Union exists to ensure that a student’s time at the University is the best it can possibly be. A vibrant community of 15,000 students have access to services and opportunities including sports, societies, advice and representation, our retail outlets and our nightclub.
- Whatever a student’s passion or interest, time commitment or background it couldn't be easier to get involved in an activity at the students’ union – there is something for everyone.
- The Students’ Union boasts 35 sports clubs, ranging from beginner to elite levels, and is one of only three Students’ Unions in England that offer COMPLETELY FREE SPORT. There are no membership fees to pay, no transport costs and our players receive professional training twice a week.
- The Students’ Union also offers free fitness classes including aerobics, zumba and cheerobics alongside a number of intramural leagues for the more casual athlete.
- Students are encouraged and supported to join and create student societies, an offering that includes 66 diverse and varied student groups such as the History Society, Climbing Society, Global Students’ Society, and Cheese and Wine Society. The Societies are also entirely FREE TO JOIN.
- Park Campus is home to three distinct venues that offer everything from coffees and paninis to spirits and Pinot Grigio. Recently the first floor of the Students’ Union underwent a £450,000 refurbishment to create a flagship nightclub and multifunctional social space known as the Attic. Between lectures it’s the perfect place to meet friends, in the evening we have an exciting programme of events that range from comedy nights to live bands, acoustic acts and DJs such as Sigma, Gorgon City, Zane Lowe, Danny Howard, Katy B, Naughty Boy, Example and Huw Stephens.
- Over on Avenue Campus students will find a fun and vibrant Students’ Union that hosts open mic nights, pub quizzes and a number of performances from our home-grown bands, aspiring dance groups and other Avenue-based students.
Availability of Part-Time Work
- The university Centre for Employability and Engagement (UCEE) offers a unique employability service to all students and graduates.
- Building upon the university's commitment to social impact and innovation, the Centre works with students to develop the professional and personal skills needed to enter the workplace at a graduate level or to progress into further studies.
- The University Centre for Employability and Engagement (UCEE) offers a unique employability service to all students and graduates. Building upon the University's commitment to social impact and innovation, the centre works with students to develop the professional and personal skills needed to enter the workplace at a graduate level or to progress into further studies.
The University Centre for Employability and Engagement offers:
- Confidential one-to-one careers advice, CV checks, mock interviews.
- Interactive skills development workshops and events.
- Employability Plus - an incentive, recognition and reward scheme for all employability activity.
- Access to pain and voluntary opportunities.
- Support to students engaged in community projects both on and off campus.
- Regular opportunities to network with employers.
Employability Plus is unique to the University of Northampton and provides the opportunity to gain more than just a good degree, it incentivises, rewards and recognises your investment in the activities you take part in outside of your degree programme, supporting you to 'Give More, Get More, Be More' by providing work opportunities, volunteering and social action experiences, development opportunities and employability support. Enabling you to gain experience that will make you stand out from the rest, while providing the opportunity to develop essential skills for your career.
- It rewards you for investing time and effort into your future employability.
- Recognising your achievements beyond your degree.
- Incentivises you to develop the employability skills employers tell us will make you stand out from others in the jobs market.
Employability Plus provides:
- Work opportunities.
- Volunteering and social action experiences.
- Development opportunities.
- Employability support.
Recent/Prospective New Builds
- £330m development to relocate to a new Waterside Campus by 2018, putting the university at the heart of the community.
- £25m St John’s Halls of Residence bringing students to the heart of the towns community in preparation for our move to Waterside Campus.
- £900,000 transformation of the library at Park Campus into a new and up-to-the-minute Learning Commons – technology enhanced learning space.
- £535,000 investment in our Students' Unions, creating amazing venues for gigs, club nights and events.
- £8.5m University of Northampton Innovation Centre. The Innovation Centre provides a supportive environment for entrepreneurs and businesses seeking to deliver social impact, value and change.
|Address||The University of Northampton
Boughton Green Road