University of Northampton
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
The University of Northampton's mission is to transform lives and inspire change. With exciting, industry-relevant courses and excellent and passionate lecturers, it aims to ensure students' time is fulfilling and enjoyable. Industry partnerships and a dedication to employability help graduates secure the roles they deserve.
UCAS Code: N38
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Gold is awarded to institutions that consistently deliver outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for their students. Find out more about TEF.
Level of study
- Undergraduate 82%
- Postgraduate 18%
Mode of study
- Full Time 77%
- Part Time 23%
Where students come from
- UK 88%
- EU 3%
- Other 9%
- Male 36%
- Female 64%
Student Services and Facilities
- More than just a library, the university Learning Hub provides students access to print, online and multimedia resources, including university-generated research. There are two libraries, one on each campus.
- The Learning Hub is the biggest building on campus, a four-storey space with a range of learning environments from silent study to social learning. Whether students prefer to study during the day or late at night, this library and learning zone offers the resources they need, open 24 hours on some days and until midnight during holidays.
- The university Changemaker Hub provides opportunities for students to get into part-time work while they study or full-time work when they graduate. The Changemaker Hub team supports students with everything from CV writing to interview techniques.
- The university's industry-relevant courses, passionate lecturers, industry partnerships and a dedication to employability, help students to secure the graduate roles they deserve.
- The university Changemaker Hub is the place for support and advice to help develop work ready experience and employability skills.
- Students have access to the on-campus Health Centre, as well as other local health facilities.
- The university mental health and counselling team offers students free support and advice on issues including anxiety, stress, depression, trauma, and loss.
- The university Additional Student Support and Inclusions Services Team (ASSIST) is committed to ensuring students with disability-related needs can achieve their full potential.
- The team offers a diverse range of support including: help advice about specialist grants and help with Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) applications, dyslexia screening tests, study assistance, extra time in exams, priority accommodation arrangements and one-to-one specialist study skills support.
- The Student's Union is completely independent of the university, and all students are automatically members with access to the union's services and events. Opened in 2018, its new town centre venue, The Platform, includes a nightclub, café bar, art shop, volunteer training space and a student letting agency.
- There are over 70 clubs and societies ranging from fan clubs to hobby-based, with a Doctor Who and Harry Potter appreciation society, and the Cake Society, for students with a passion for baking (and eating) cake. There is also NU Radio, the student radio station. If students can't find a society they want to join, they can always grab seven friends and start their own!
- The Student's Union is one of only three universities in the UK to offer free sports and societies for all students: this is continuing in 2018, so students will not need to pay any membership fees.
- The modern facility was a blend of Northampton's colleges of art, technology, and education, becoming Nene College of Higher Education in 1975, before becoming the University of Northampton in 2005.
- In 2017 the university was awarded Gold in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF).
- In September 2018, the university relocated to its brand new £330m Waterside campus.
- Vice Chancellor of the University of Northampton is Professor Nick Petford. His expertise on volcanology led to him fronting a Channel 4 documentary on the 2010 eruption of Iceland's Eyjafjallajökull volcano – when flights over Britain were halted.
Notable Alumni and Famous Faces
- Lydia Millen – fashion and lifestyle blogger.
- Dan Middleton – world-famous video games blogger.
- Dallas Campbell – television presenter.
- Owen Paterson – politician.
- Rory Lamont – retired Scottish international rugby union player.
- Toby Cadman – acclaimed human rights lawyer.
University of Northampton, University Drive, Northampton, NN1 5PH