The University of Northampton
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Why Study Here?
- Each year the university welcomes more than 1,000 international students from over 100 countries.
- All students benefit from the opportunity to develop international relationships and networks by learning alongside others from a wide range of countries and cultures.
- We understand that for many international students, studying and living in the UK is a new experience. We work hard to ensure that the next steps in your academic career are as smooth as possible.
- We have welcomed international students to the University of Northampton for many years, and have a dedicated team of staff to help you settle in and a great social programme to help you make the most of your time with us.
Our International Relations team travels across the world to provide help and advice to prospective applicants. We attend many of the British Council Education UK Fairs around the world as well as visiting schools and colleges, and carrying out interviews in-country.
- The university also has a list of approved local representatives who are able to provide in-country assistance for international students.
- Many of our local representatives are Northampton graduates or have extensive knowledge of the University and will be happy to provide advice and guidance in making your application.
- For information on visits to your country and on approved local representatives please visit the International pages of our website.
For more information about life as an international student, the support on offer from the University of Northampton, along with details of how to apply, fees and scholarships, please contact our International Office.
What Do International Students Study?
English Language Requirements
- In addition to the academic qualifications, if your native language is not English you will be required to undertake an English Language test prior to acceptance on the course, to ensure your English competency.
- Details of our accepted tests are on the International pages of our website.
- We also offer pre-sessional English courses at the university for students whose English language level is IELTS 4.0 or higher.
- These courses run from one academic year in advance of your degree programme to a few weeks prior to the start of the course, depending on your level of English and the amount of tuition you need to reach the required level.
Fees and Funding
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2016–2017):
|Type of Course||Undergraduate||Taught Postgraduate|
Bursaries and Scholarships
- The University of Northampton has a generous International Scholarship Scheme that provides financial support for international students with a strong academic background.
- We allocate the scholarships to international applicants based on academic merit, meaning you do not need to make a separate application.
Pre-Arrival and Welcome
- For international students arriving in September and January who sign up for this option, the university also offers a free Meet and Greet service.
- A university representative will meet you at London Heathrow Airport and bring you directly to the university by coach.
- We recognise that many of our international students will be visiting the UK for the first time. To ensure that you settle in quickly and receive all the practical advice and guidance you need, you will be invited to join our International Welcome Programme, which takes place immediately prior to the beginning of your course in September.
- During this programme you will be given detailed information about opening a bank account, obtaining a part-time job, getting a National Insurance number and registering with a doctor.
- We also organise a range of social activities during this week, which will enable you to relax and to meet other students.
Organisations for International Students
- At the University of Northampton, you will find a great combination of high-quality academic provision, first-class resources and a friendly, supportive learning environment.
- Our Student Centre is a one-stop-shop for all aspects of international student life, including general advice and support, academic and financial assistance, help with finding employment and volunteering opportunities, visa and immigration information and links to other organisations who can help.
- In addition to this we have a multi-faith chaplaincy, and the Students’ Union provides many opportunities for you to get involved in sports and social activities and meet other students from the UK and around the world.