Why Go to a University Open Day?
Open days provide a number of invaluable insights despite the heavy marketing that surrounds them. Click through the gallery below to see why you should attend an open day or two, and what to look for when you're there:
1. You can visit the department
If you can’t choose between more than one course, open days help to give you clarity, and if you’re really stuck you’ll be able to visit multiple departments. It’s recommended you sit through at least a couple of subject talks. You should be able to narrow down your choices by getting a feel for the department’s teaching practice.
What to look for:
- Does teaching incorporate enough of a practical element for you?
- What does this department aim to equip its graduates with?
- How is the course assessed?
- What’s the proportion of teaching time versus independent study?
Find out how universities rank using our subject tables.
Next page: How to plan for an open day