University of Oxford
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
The University of Oxford offers a unique experience to postgraduate students; the opportunity to work with leading academics and facilities. Successful applicants will join a large and diverse graduate community of more than 10,000 postgraduate students from over 150 different countries and territories, normally as part of an interdisciplinary community in one of Oxford's 44 colleges. The university offers over 350 masters, doctoral and PG Cert and Diploma courses.
Postgraduate Student Statistics
10,385 postgraduate students in 2016–17
Mode of study
- Full Time 78%
- Part Time 22%
- UK 43%
- EU 18%
- Other 39%
Numbers of Students by Subject Area
|Business & Management Studies||30||945||975|
|Anatomy & Physiology||380||35||415|
|Geography & Environmental Science||145||145||290|
|Physics & Astronomy||265||10||275|
|Theology & Religious Studies||95||140||235|
|Hospitality, Leisure, Recreation & Tourism||0||100||100|
|Classics & Ancient History||50||45||95|
|East & South Asian Studies||0||75||75|
|History of Art, Architecture & Design||20||50||70|
|Town & Country Planning and Landscape Design||5||55||60|
|Pharmacology & Pharmacy||45||15||55|
|Accounting & Finance||0||55||55|
|Middle Eastern & African Studies||0||50||50|
|Art & Design||20||15||35|
|Librarianship & Information Management||30||0||30|
|Agriculture & Forestry||0||25||25|
|Communication & Media Studies||5||15||20|
|Russian & East European Languages||0||15||15|
|Drama, Dance & Cinematics||0||10||10|
Figures are rounded to the nearest five.
Postgraduate Tuition Fees
The following are the typical annual course fees for postgraduate students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2018–2019). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- Over 1,100 graduate fully-funded scholarships are available, which cover course fees and provide a grant for living costs. Across the range of graduate scholarships, support is available for students of all nationalities, covering the spectrum of academic subject areas.
- 70% of Oxford scholarships require only the standard course application; if students fulfil the eligibility criteria, they will automatically be considered.
- All Oxford scholarships worth over £1,000 are advertised through the Fees, Funding and Scholarship search on the university website. Applicants can use this tool to check their eligibility, whether any additional material is required, and find full details of how to apply.
- The vast majority of Oxford scholarships are awarded to applicants who submit their course application by the relevant January deadline; some additional scholarships are also offered by departments, details of which can be found on the relevant university departmental websites.
Accommodation for Postgraduate Students
- Oxford offers a variety of accommodation options and living arrangements to cater for the differing needs of postgraduate students. Many colleges offer accommodation to students for all or part of their course, however it is not possible to guarantee accommodation to all applicants.
- Some colleges make provision for specific requirements, such as student couples or families, and there is accommodation specifically adapted for students with disabilities.
- Please refer to the university's Graduate Admissions website for further details, including information about college rent and other charges.