- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
- Clearing & Adjustment
The University of Portsmouth gives students the support they need to go beyond what they think is possible – inspired by researchers working on world-changing projects. With work placements, simulation suites, and careers expertise too, it's no surprise that this university is rated Gold in the UK Government's Teaching Excellence Framework.
UCAS Code: P80
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Gold is awarded to institutions that consistently deliver outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for their students. Find out more about TEF.
Level of study
- Undergraduate 83%
- Postgraduate 17%
Mode of study
- Full Time 83%
- Part Time 17%
Where students come from
- UK 84%
- EU 4%
- Other 12%
- Male 54%
- Female 46%
Undergraduate Open Days
Open days allow you to experience the university first hand, and help you decide if it's the right place for you.
Student Services and Facilities
Libraries and Information Services
- The university library houses 385,000 books, over 650,000 e-books and more than 54,000 e-journals, with extensive off-campus access to e-resources. There are quiet and group study areas and a café. The library opens 24/7 for 34 weeks of the year during term times, with a year-round chat service available to answer students' questions.
- Faculty librarians support teaching at the university by providing specialist advice on the literature of each subject through classroom teaching, online and face-to-face help as needed.
- IT facilities at the university include over 4,500 PCs, laptops and Apple Macs across the campus for student use, with the library providing over 400 loanable laptops in addition to PCs and Macs. All students have free access to the campus-wide fast wireless network, including in halls of residence. Support is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- The university's Careers and Employability Service helps students to find part-time work in Portsmouth and South East Hampshire. In 2018 there were over 1,800 part-time opportunities advertised, with a variety of employers.
- The university itself employs over 1,000 students in a range of roles, advertised through My Career careers management system, which also advertises graduate jobs, volunteering roles, placements and internships.
- The University of Portsmouth's Careers and Employability Service supports students and graduates with career planning, finding work experience or volunteering roles, part-time or graduate jobs, or setting up their own businesses.
- Two well-resourced and welcoming centres on campus are open year-round, offering services up to five years after graduation, physically and virtually.
- Each faculty has a dedicated Careers Adviser with subject-specific expertise, offering specialised information, advice and guidance.
- Students have opportunities for UK and global placements that support skills development and career planning.
- Real life learning is brought onto campus using innovative technology and 'live' projects with employers; and many courses benefit from professional accreditations, helping students' work prospects through meeting professional body and employer requirements.
- The health and well-being needs of students are met through a wide range of support services, including close working relationships with local doctors' surgeries and NHS mental health services.
- Students' physical health benefits from a gym with the latest fitness equipment and over 50 exercise classes weekly.
Counselling and Mental Health Support
The Student Well-being Service provides confidential face-to-face counselling and guidance for a wide range of personal and emotional concerns, available to every student free of charge. The service offers workshops, courses, well-being advice, mental health support and counselling to help and guide students.
For students based off campus the service offers e-counselling (via secure email) and access to SilverCloud programmes, where students can learn and apply useful evidence-based techniques and skills to address common mental health conditions and improve their well-being.
The pioneering What'sUp app has a personal space to record students' mood, express thoughts and emotions, and offers same-day two-way communication with professionals in the Student Well-being Service.
- ASDAC (Additional Support and Disability Advice Centre) offers students the opportunity to discuss any additional learning needs and clarification on how support can be accessed at university. Students are welcome to contact the service before registering on a course.
- A team of specialist tutors offer one-to-one support, empowering students to develop ways to succeed and achieve in their studies. Two Assistive Technology tutors have researched and provided assistive software for all students to access, free of charge, on the main university network. Training for this software can be provided through one-to-one tutorial using the latest technology. Online resources have been developed using student feedback, and include short information films, video tutorials and more. There are also workshops where students can work alongside each other and the tutors provide further support if required.
- The service can guide and advise students on applying for Disabled Students' Allowances, but also supports those students who are not eligible through independent university funding.
Other services and facilities
- The Student Finance Centre offers information and advice on all aspects of money management while studying. This includes supporting applications for Government student loans, and practical support in the form of a generous University Support Fund and same day emergency loans.
- Courses aim to bring the workplace and real life practice onto campus. Facilities include a mock law court, film and television studios, theatre facilities, the country's first operational police forensic research facility based on a university campus, and a centre for simulation in health and care. Real life practice is also gained: students at the Dental Academy treat NHS patients, law students run general legal advice clinics for the public, and the Social Work Inclusion Group enables students to learn directly from the personal experience of service users, who also contribute to development of the curriculum.
- The Students' Union enriches the daily lives of Portsmouth students. The union is led by inspiring students who are supported to cultivate their skills and experiences, and motivate other students to do the same.
- The union gives students a voice, standing up for the things they care about. It offers access to over 200 weird, wonderful and thought-provoking student groups and activities that broaden horizons, increase employability and help make lifelong friends.
- The Students' Union building is the place on campus to go, relax, meet friends, learn something new, do a weekly shop and grab a quick coffee. It's a quirky venue designed especially to meet the needs of the wide variety of University of Portsmouth students.
- The University of Portsmouth began life 150 years ago as Portsmouth and Gosport School of Science and Art.
- Hollywood came to Portsmouth in 2013 when Jake Gyllenhaal and Josh Brolin used the university's extreme environments laboratories to prepare for their roles in the film Everest.
- In December 2015, alumnus Major Tim Peake was launched into space.
- Researchers at the University of Portsmouth have developed a mutant enzyme that eats plastic.
Notable Alumni and Famous Faces
- Grayson Perry CBE – Turner Prize-winning artist.
- Ben Fogle – television presenter and adventurer.
- Major Tim Peake – astronaut.
- Martin Whitmarsh – CEO of Land Rover BAR.
- Will King – founder and CEO of King of Shaves.
- Lauren Steadman – Paralympian.
- Karen Blackett – CEO of MediaCom UK.
- John Armitt CBE - chair of the London 2012 Olympic Delivery Authority.
- Justin Edgar – film director, screenwriter and producer.
- Simon Armitage CBE – award-winning poet.
University of Portsmouth, University House, Winston Churchill Avenue, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO1 2UP