University of Portsmouth
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Why Study Here?
- City centre campus on the UK’s south coast, five minutes from the sea.
- 90 minutes by direct train to London.
- Emphasis on employability – work-related challenges in simulated environments (such as in our mock courtroom).
- Highly satisfied students – the National Student Survey 2015 ranked the University of Portsmouth at 89%, higher than the UK national average for student satisfaction.
- The International Office prides itself on offering excellent one to one support for international/EU students on any matter. Drop in to speak to our student advisers between 10am and 3pm, Monday–Friday, to discuss anything from adjusting to the UK, registering for a bank account or visa extension.
- We organise a programme of social events including UK trips and cultural celebrations.
- We run an ambassadors programme each year, giving international students the opportunity to earn additional income and gain useful experience working with the International Office team.
What Do International Students Study?
English Language Requirements
- IELTS – from 5.5 with no component score less than 5.5, to 6.5 with no component score less than 6.0.
- GCSE – Grade C or above.
- Pearson Test of English – 54 points with a minimum of 51 in each component.
- Cambridge English Advanced (CAE) - An overall CAE score of 169 with no component score less than 162.
Fees and Funding
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2016–2017):
|Type of Course||Undergraduate||Taught Postgraduate|
Bursaries and Scholarships
- GOAL Award (Global Outreach Access to Learning award) entitles some students to a 10% discount on their tuition fees.
- It is available to self-funding, undergraduate students in their first year of study with annual fees of £12,000 or above (2016 entry only, fee may vary for subsequent years).
- The award is for students coming from countries of low or middle income as defined by the United Nations Human Development Index.
- The PassPort Bursary gives self-funding students a 10% fee reduction for the first year of study only. It applies to all degree courses with fees of £12,000 and above (2016 entry only, fee may vary for subsequent years). The following countries are eligible for the PassPort Bursary: Brazil, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Malaysia, Mexico, Russia, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, Venezuela.
Pre-Arrival and Welcome
- Airport pick-up service (for a fee) on specific dates from London Heathrow airport.
- Free international and EU orientation programme to help students settle into the city and make new friends before their course starts.
Accommodation for International Students
- All international (non-EU) students are guaranteed a room for their first year provided they have completed the booking form and paid a deposit by the specified date. Students must hold an unconditional offer and have their Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS).
- Both catered and self-catering university accommodation options are available, all with free wi-fi access.
- International students are spread evenly throughout our accommodation, rather than clustered together.
- The university has a wide range of halls based around the city, all around 5–10 minutes' walk from teaching buildings. Langstone Student Village is slightly further away, with a free bus services provided to and from the city campus.
- Students must move out of their accommodation during the summer vacation.
- Accommodation costs £89–147 per week, depending on the accommodation chosen.
Organisations for International Students
- Mix and Match social networking scheme run by the International Office allows students to connect and learn about different cultures as well as participate in organised events.
- Range of arts, cultural, sporting, political and academic clubs and societies run by the Students’ Union open to all students.
- No campus overseas but offices in Shanghai, Beijing and Kuala Lumpur.