- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
The University of Portsmouth welcomes more than 5,000 international and EU students from 150 countries. Located only 90 minutes from London, it provides students with Gold-rated teaching (Teaching Excellence Framework 2017) in a setting with superb facilities – and a seaside location.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Gold is awarded to institutions that consistently deliver outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for their students. Find out more about TEF.
International Student Statistics
5,585 international students in 2017–18
- A free Orientation programme helps international students to settle in and make new friends before they start their course.
- The university helps international students with registering on their course, settling into accommodation before the start of term, providing information on the university, the city and what support is available to them, and help with opening a UK bank account.
- A coach pick-up service is available for a fee on specific dates from London Heathrow airport; students are collected and brought straight to the campus.
English Language Requirements
A full list of acceptable English language qualifications may be found on the university website:
- IELTS: from 5.5 with no component score less than 5.5, to 6.5 with no component score less than 6.0.
- GCSE: Grade C or above in English Language.
- Pearson Test of English: 54 points with a minimum of 51 in each component.
- Cambridge English Advanced (CAE): an overall score of 169 with no component score less than 162.
Accommodation for International Students
- A place in halls is guaranteed for all new full-time international undergraduate and postgraduate applicants who firmly accept an offer to study at the University of Portsmouth and apply for accommodation by the specified deadline.
- A wide range of good quality centrally located accommodation is available, with en-suite and studio facilities.
- There is a good supply of private-sector accommodation available if students prefer to live out in the city. The university runs a series of housing events, offers online resources and a student matching service to help students meet like-minded housemates to share with.
- The university also provides ongoing housing advice and support to all students to ensure they are settled in Portsmouth throughout their course.
Bursaries and Scholarships
The university offers a number of scholarships and bursaries for international students. For details of all awards, please refer to the university website.
- School of Earth and Environmental Sciences Scholarships: a 40% tuition fee reduction for self-funded students from Nigeria or Ghana, on specified courses offered by the Faculty of Science.
- Students from the EU joining the Faculty of Business and Law on a full-time or part-time postgraduate course may be eligible for a 40% tuition fee discount.
- Two bursaries are offered – Global Outreach: Access to Learning (GOAL) Awards, and the Passport Bursary. Both give a 10% reduction on fees in the first year of study.
- University of Portsmouth Global is the central point of contact for international students; staff are available to help students settle into university life.
- International student advisers offer personal and confidential support, advising on student visas, extensions and visa letters for visiting other countries, and referring on to other support services in the university.
- International students can also join in social events such as walking and coach tours, sporting events, film nights and plenty more.
Quick Guides to International Tuition Fees and Finance
- Find and check tuition fees for specific courses on our Course Chooser.
- Get information about fees and funding for international students.
- Get information about fees and funding for EU students.