- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
The University of Portsmouth has an excellent reputation for postgraduate teaching and research. From professional qualifications to independent research, on-campus taught programmes to online part-time study, it has a course and study mode to suit all students.
Postgraduate Student Statistics
3,965 postgraduate students in 2016–17
Mode of study
- Full Time 52%
- Part Time 48%
- UK 73%
- EU 5%
- Other 21%
Numbers of Students by Subject Area
|Business & Management Studies||50||640||690|
|Accounting & Finance||20||155||175|
|Librarianship & Information Management||60||35||95|
|Geography & Environmental Science||10||75||85|
|Electrical & Electronic Engineering||20||45||70|
|Pharmacology & Pharmacy||30||35||65|
|Art & Design||5||40||40|
|Aeronautical & Manufacturing Engineering||0||35||35|
|Communication & Media Studies||5||25||30|
|Drama, Dance & Cinematics||5||25||30|
|Anatomy & Physiology||5||25||25|
|Physics & Astronomy||15||0||15|
|Town & Country Planning and Landscape Design||0||5||5|
Figures are rounded to the nearest five.
The following are the typical annual course fees for postgraduate students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2017–2018). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- The university offers a significant number of scholarships to highly qualified applicants to postgraduate courses. Please refer to the university website for full information and details on eligibility.
- A generous alumni discount is available.
- The university’s £1,700 Care Leavers' bursary is available to eligible postgraduate students.
Accommodation for Postgraduate Students
- A place in halls is guaranteed for all new full-time UK and EU undergraduate and postgraduate applicants who firmly accept an offer to study at the University of Portsmouth and apply for accommodation by the specified deadline.
- The university offers a wide range of good quality, centrally located accommodation with en-suite or shared bathroom facilities. There are also studio options that are prioritised for postgraduate students.