Explore postgraduate study at the University of Salford.
Postgraduate Funding – What Will It Cost?
Tuition fees for postgraduate courses vary enormously but the overall cost of study will depend on many factors, such as the institution you choose, the course, location and funding opportunities. It could cost a lot less than you have been led to believe.
- The cost of a postgraduate degree is often less than that of an undergraduate degree. Since August 2016, students can apply for a postgraduate loan of up to £10,000.
- Household income or funding that a student may receive, such as a bursary, will not affect eligibility for the loan.
- For courses that are two years or longer, students will receive £5,000 in the first year, and £5,000 in the second.
- Repayments will begin when the student is earning over £21,000, and interest will be included.
- The postgraduate fee will cover use of the library, IT equipment and other university study facilities, a well as tuition and supervision.
- According to the latest Reddin Survey of Tuition Fees, fees range from a high of £50,200 for a one-year MBA at the University of Oxford’s Said Business School for both UK and overseas students to £3,400 for a taught Masters at the Edinburgh Napier University in Scotland if you are from the UK or Europe.
- For overseas students, Edinburgh Napier's fees rise to £12,620 for a taught classroom-based Masters, and £14,690 for a laboratory-based Masters.
MBAs cost more than most other postgraduate degrees and are particularly expensive at a highly-ranked university such as Oxford.
- Correspondingly, taught Masters degrees cost a good deal less, particularly at less high-profile universities.
- In most cases a classroom-based and a laboratory-based course will cost the same for home/EU students; classroom-based courses are usually cheaper than laboratory-based courses for international students.
Research degrees are cheaper than taught courses.
- Fees for PhDs are somewhere between £3,000 and £6,000 a year.
- If you take a doctorate or a masters part-time you will also pay less.
- If you are doing half the syllabus that the full-timers are taking a year, you will usually pay half the fee.
- Science PhDs cost more than humanities doctorates – and you pay more if you are an international student.
Next page: What Financial Support May I Get?