Postgraduate Funding – What Financial Support May I Get?

Funding is available for people with a very good academic record.

The main sources of research funding for UK-based applicants are the seven research councils.

Research Councils in the UK

  • Arts and Humantities Research Council (AHRC)
  • Biotechnology and Biologial Sciences Research Council (BBSRC)
  • Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC)
  • Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)
  • Medical Research Council (MRC)
  • Natural Environment Research Council (NERC)
  • Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC)

You cannot apply to one of these councils without the support of your supervisor and institution. You will need their help with filling in your application form. Sometimes the institution will do the whole application for you. Find out about the research councils and their work.

Charitable foundations are an often untapped source of funding for postgraduate students.

Government funding for social work, medicine, dentistry, healthcare, and teaching.

Employer sponsorship or a part-time job.

Professional and Career Development Loans.

Graduate teaching and research assistants.

English Language Courses

Come and learn English in the UK — find out about English language courses and where you can study.

Email Newsletter

Sign up to our monthly e-update for hints and tips on your university application, direct to your inbox.


Tweets by @CompUniGuide

CompUniGuide on Instagram