Queen Margaret University
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
The average UCAS tariff score of new students entering the University. These tables use the old UCAS tariff.Read more
A guide to how satisfied students are with the quality of teaching they receive.Read more
A measure of the quality of the research undertaken in the University.Read more
A measure of the proportion of staff involved in high-quality research in the University.Read more
A guide to the employability of graduates on completion of their courses at the University.Read more
The average staffing levels at the University.Read more
Academic Services Spend
A guide to how much the University spends on supporting services such as libraries and IT.Read more
A guide to how much the University spends on supporting facilities such as the careers service, health and counselling services and sport facilities.Read more
The percentage of graduates achieving a first or upper second class honours degree – the class of degree achieved can impact a graduate’s employment prospects.Read more
The proportion of students expected to successfully complete their studies and gain a degree from the University.Read more
From its founding in 1875, Queen Margaret has developed into a university of ideas and influence which prepares graduates for useful careers and equips them with the skills which will help them make a real difference to society. QMU has recognised expertise in the following flagship areas: Health and Rehabilitation, Creativity and Culture, Sustainable Business. Relocated to a new purpose-built university campus on the south east side of Edinburgh in 2007.
- Entry standards are subject to change. Please refer to the university website for details.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
This institution did not take part in the TEF. Participation is voluntary. Find out more about TEF.
- QMU offers a number of exchange programmes that allow students to study for periods of between 1 and 2 semesters in a university in another country.
- In addition, some courses are available via distance learning or part-time.
- Santander Universities SME internships offers 3-month paid internships within small businesses, open to graduates as well as current students, allowing students to gain valuable work experience.
Student Services and Facilities
- The Learning Resource Centre (LRC) is a one-stop shop for the learning, teaching and research needs of students. It has 1,000 study spaces, most with IT. Its flexible modern learning spaces include social, group, quiet, silent and individual study areas, and students can access free Wi-Fi.
- QMU is the first university in Scotland to have a Business Gateway located on campus. Run by East Lothian Council, part of the Gateway’s focus is on encouraging students and new graduates to develop as entrepreneurs.
- Please refer to the university website for details about disability services.
- In February 2015, the Vice President of the Students' Union played a key role in launching Edinburgh's first student-led arts festival and QMU students continued to be involved in this ambitious arts festival in 2016.
- The festival celebrates the creative work of students from Queen Margaret University (QMU), as well as the other universities and colleges in the capital.
Availability of Part-Time Work
- The Employability Centre helps students throughout their studies, whether they are looking to find part-time employment, voluntary work, relevant work experience or graduate employment.
- Students can use the online vacancy system to explore local opportunities for temporary, part-time and vacation work.
- QMU's Careers and Employability team aims to help students become confident and able effectively to market their knowledge, skills and experience to potential employers. The team operates a Careers for Life service, which allows graduates to access the specialist careers service well beyond graduation.
- An online vacancy system allows students to explore local temporary, part-time and vacation work 24/7. Employers advertise jobs in the online vacancy system daily. Volunteering and summer work opportunities are also available online.
- The careers advisers offer 3 drop-in sessions every week during the semester for existing students and recent graduates, and an Employer Mentoring programme offers third and fourth year students the opportunity to meet with an experienced professional with relevant industry experience. Mentors offer their support, advice and inside knowledge surrounding areas of interest and concern to students.
Level of study
- Undergraduate 69%
- Postgraduate 31%
Mode of study
- Full Time 67%
- Part Time 33%
Where students come from
- UK 80%
- EU 14%
- Other 6%
- Male 23%
- Female 77%
- Founded in 1875, the Edinburgh School of Cookery was created to improve women's education and career opportunities and to improve the diets of the urban poor; from its beginnings, the university has always focused on contributing in practical ways to improving the quality of human life and serving the community.
- QMU moved to a brand new university campus in 2007, which was officially opened by Queen Elizabeth II in 2008.
- Today, inspired by its history and the great tradition of Scottish education, Queen Margaret has developed into an ambitious university which prepares graduates for useful careers and equips them with the skills which will help them make a real difference to society.
- Matt Baker – TV presenter, formerly Blue Peter, currently The One Show and Countryfile.
- Ashley Jensen – actor in the US hit TV series Ugly Betty.
- Edith Bowman – music critic, radio DJ and TV presenter with BBC Radio 1 and BBC Radio Scotland.
- Kevin McKidd – actor known for Trainspotting and Grey’s Anatomy.
- James McKenzie – actor on the children’s TV gameshow series Raven, currently in the BBC TV soap River City.
- Angel Coulby – actor in the TV fantasy series, Merlin along with a number of other television credits.
- Jacqui Lunday – Chief Health Professions Officer, Scottish Government.
- Helen Doherty – producer of children’s TV series Balamory and Me Too.
- Craig Hill – comedian.
- Michael Matheson MSP – Scottish Government Minister for Justice.
|Address||Queen Margaret University Queen Margaret University Drive Musselburgh EH21 6UU|