Queen Mary University of London
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Why Study Here?
- Queen Mary offers outstanding students a stimulating, supportive and high-quality learning experience, with teaching inspired by our world-leading research.
- We have invested more than £300m in new facilities over recent years to offer our students an exceptional learning environment.
- Queen Mary has over 150 nationalities currently represented amongst our student community making it one of the world’s most diverse university’s (THE 2015).
What Do International Students Study?
English Language Requirements
- Minimum IELTS or equivalent is 6.0 for Science and Engineering undergraduate degrees and 7.0 for Humanities and Social Sciences and Medicine and Dentistry undergraduate degrees.
- Students may be eligible to join one of our pre-sessional English language programmes (at additional cost) if their IELTS score is 0.5 below the requirement.
- For postgraduate degrees, higher English language entry requirements apply. Please see our website for further information.
Fees and Funding
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2016–2017):
|Type of Course||Undergraduate||Taught Postgraduate|
Bursaries and Scholarships
- We have an extensive scholarship scheme for International Students in our Faculty of Science & Engineering.
- A number of other School’s offer scholarships and bursaries.
Pre-Arrival and Welcome
- Queen Mary’s International Office staff hold pre-departure briefings in a number of countries and a comprehensive pre-departure guide online.
- A complimentary airport collection service is offered from Heathrow in September and January for our new arrivals.
- Before classes begin we provide a welcome programme offering students information on visas and more generally about living and studying in the UK. For information about our Welcome Programme please visit the website.
Accommodation for International Students
- Queen Mary University of London currently has 1,923 bedroom places in mixed sex self-catering residences on or near the Mile End Campus. There are 145 places at the Whitechapel Campus (Floyer House) and 207 places at the Charterhouse Square Campus (Dawson Hall). For more information about accommodation please visit the website.
- Housing is allocated on a first come first served basis, However, international students are given priority as long as they apply before the deadline (typically 31 May).
- University accommodation is self-catering and the majority has en-suite facilities.
- International students are usually spread out through the accommodation, rather than clustered.
- At the Mile End campus, most accommodation is on campus in the student village. Those residences off campus are within walking distance.
- Students do not have to move out of their accommodation during the Christmas and Easter vacations.
Organisations for International Students
- The Students’ Union has over 190 different clubs and societies, so whether you are interested in football, politics, martial arts or theatre, you should be able to find something to suit your interests.
- Queen Mary offers a joint degree programme with BUPT in Beijing, China.
- The university has an International Exchange Programme and Erasmus scheme to study in Europe.