- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Queen’s University Belfast currently has over 2,500 international students from 78 different countries. Among the UK's oldest and most beautiful universities, its rich heritage is combined with state-of-the-art facilities in one of the UK's leading research-intensive institutions.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
This institution did not take part in the TEF. Participation is voluntary. Find out more about TEF.
International Student Statistics
2,880 international students in 2017–18
- Queen's University Belfast provides a high level of support on UK student visas to help students make a smooth transition from their home country to life in Belfast; please refer to the university website for details.
- A welcome and transfer service is provided from both Belfast International Airport and George Best Belfast City Airport to the university on specified arrival days in advance of the Orientation programmes. A welcome service is also provided upon arrival at Queen's Elms Village student accommodation.
- International Student Support (ISS) organise a five-day Orientation programme for international students in mid-September, during the overall Welcome and Orientation period for all new students to Queen's. A four-day orientation programme is held in late January for international students commencing their studies in the second semester.
- The Orientation programme gives students the opportunity to meet ISS staff, academic staff, Students' Union representatives and fellow international students. Activities include tours of the university and the city of Belfast, along with advice on adjusting to university academic study, life in university accommodation, living expenses and local immigration requirements.
English Language Requirements
Applicants whose first language is not English must meet both the academic and English language entry requirements for their course. Please refer to the university website for details, including other acceptable qualifications and specific course requirements. In general, the minimum standard is:
- IELTS Academic: 6.0–6.5 (minimum of 5.5 in all four components of the test); or
- TOEFL iBT: 80–90 (minimum marks for Listening 17, Reading 18, Speaking 20, Writing 17); or
- INTO English for University Studies Test: 65% (minimum of 55% in each test component). INTO Queen's University Belfast offers a wide range of courses to help students meet the required standard of English language for entry to degree programmes at the university.
Accommodation for International Students
- Student accommodation is located within easy walking distance of the university, including new city-centre apartments and studios. Residential Life Coordinators offer support, help and guidance on settling into student life in Belfast.
- International students, including those studying a one semester course (such as Erasmus and Study Abroad Programmes), are guaranteed a place in university accommodation.
- A range of accommodation is available, some exclusive to international and postgraduate students. Room types include twin rooms, single en-suite and premium double rooms. There is accommodation for students travelling with a partner or spouse subject to availability; please contact the Accommodation office in advance.
- Contracts are for 39 or 51 weeks which includes the Christmas and Easter breaks. The price includes heating, hot water, electricity and Internet, as well as a range of support services including pastoral care and social events.
- There is also lifestyle accommodation as follows: single-sex, i.e. male or female-only; no-alcohol; and quiet-living accommodation, for students preferring a quieter, more study-focused environment.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- Each year, Queen’s offers over £1.5m worth of scholarships for fee-paying International students. All new international students enrolling onto a full-time undergraduate programme are eligible to apply. Awards include the International Office Undergraduate Scholarship and Vice-Chancellor’s Undergraduate International Attainment Scholarship.
- Please refer to the university website for details.
- Queen’s offers a friendly, multicultural and safe environment with faith provision for all major religious denominations, including prayer rooms close to campus.
- Easy access to speciality foods such as halal butchers, and Asian and Polish supermarkets, as well as international restaurants.
- Degree Plus allows students to gain accreditation for both personal development and work-related activities undertaken outside of their degree.
- The Students’ Union offers a range of support services including volunteering and enterprise opportunities, clubs and societies, advice.