Queen's University, Belfast
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Pre-Arrival and Welcome Arrangements
- A Welcome and Transfer Service is provided from both Belfast International Airport and George Best Belfast City Airport to the university on specified arrival days in advance of the orientation programmes. A welcome service is also provided upon arrival at Queen’s Elms Village student accommodation.
- International Student Support (ISS) organises an annual 5-day orientation programme for international students in mid-September, prior to the start of the first semester. This falls within the overall Welcome and Orientation period for all new students to Queen’s. A 4-day orientation programme is held in late January for international students commencing their studies in the second semester.
- The orientation programmes give students the opportunity to meet ISS staff, academic staff, Students' Union representatives and, of course, fellow international students. The programme includes tours of the university's academic and recreational facilities and the city of Belfast. Students will also be given advice on adjusting to university academic study, life in university accommodation, living expenses and local immigration requirements.
English Language Requirements
Applicants whose first language is not English must meet both the academic and English language entry requirements for their course. In general these are:
- IELTS: 6.5 (minimum of 5.5 in all four components of the test); or
- TOEFL iBT: 90 (minimum marks for Listening 17, Reading 18, Speaking 20, Writing 17); or
- CAE Cambridge Advanced: grade B/C (if taken before January 2015), or 176 overall with 162 in each test element (taken from January 2015); or
- CPE Cambridge Proficiency: grade C (if taken before January 2015), or 176 overall with not less than 162 in each test element (taken from January 2015); or
- INTO English for University Studies Test: 65% (minimum of 55% in each test component). INTO Queen's University Belfast offers a wide range of English Language courses to assist students to meet the required standard of English language to be eligible for entry to degree programmes at the university.
- Please refer to the university website for details of requirements for specific individual undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes.
Further information on other acceptable qualifications is available on the university website, as well as information for nationals of countries deemed by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) to be majority-English-speaking, and therefore assumed to meet the UKVI English language requirements for immigration purposes.
Accommodation for International Students
- International students are guaranteed a place in university accommodation for at least their first year at Queen’s. There are limited places for international students studying on 1-semester courses, such as Erasmus and Study Abroad Programmes. Accommodation for students travelling with a partner/spouse is available, with notice.
- A range of accommodation is available, some exclusive to international and postgraduate students. Room types include twin rooms, single en-suite and premium double rooms. Contracts are for 39 or 51 weeks which includes the Christmas and Easter breaks, and costs include heat, hot water, electricity and Internet, as well as a range of support services including pastoral care and social events.
- There is also specific accommodation as follows: Single-sex accommodation, ie male- or female-only; No-alcohol accommodation; and Quiet-living accommodation, for students preferring a quieter, more study-focused environment.
- All residences are within easy walking distance of the university and a central student area has resources including a laundry.
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2016–2017):
|Type of Course||Undergraduate||Taught Postgraduate|