- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
The University of Reading is one of the UK's leading research-intensive universities and is ranked 205 in the world (QS World University Rankings 2020). It has over 150 years of history, with origins as a University of Oxford extension college.
UCAS Code: R12
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Silver is awarded to institutions that deliver high-quality teaching, learning and outcomes for their students, and consistently exceed "rigorous national quality requirements" for higher education in the UK. Find out more about TEF.
Level of study
- Undergraduate 73%
- Postgraduate 27%
Mode of study
- Full Time 90%
- Part Time 10%
Where students come from
- UK 74%
- EU 6%
- Other 19%
- Male 43%
- Female 57%
Undergraduate Open Days
Open days allow you to experience the university first hand, and help you decide if it's the right place for you.
Student Services and Facilities
Libraries and Information Services
- The library is open 24 hours a day during term time, providing access to over one million books and around 35,000 e-journals. There are group discussion spaces, and quiet and silent areas.
- The university's location in the prosperous South East region means that there are many part-time jobs on offer; there are also opportunities available on campus.
- There is a dedicated Job Shop for Reading students on campus which advertises part-time vacancies. The Job Shop is open term time from 10am–4pm and staff can support students with applications, CVs and help them prepare for interviews.
- Careers consultants provide students with specialist and personalised advice, including CV-checking and mock interviews.
- Events are run to help students explore their options, build professional skills and meet employers. This includes schemes to help students gain experience and workplace skills to boost their employability, and dedicated placement officers who support and train students in preparation for their placement.
- Online resources include free videos and assessment tools.
- A dedicated recruitment service exclusively for University of Reading students. My Jobs Online can be accessed from the September before students arrive, giving them a head start on finding a part-time job in the area. On site, the Job Shop also helps students to find part-time or vacation work.
- The university has a medical practice and dental surgery.
- The Disability Advisory Service can provide confidential advice and guidance for students with a disability, long-term medical condition, mental health issue or learning difference, from application through to the completion of their studies.
- Please refer to the university website for details.
Other services and facilities
- Students can get support with maths: many courses draw upon maths skills and if students feel their skills are rusty, the dedicated Mathematics Support Centre can help via one-to-one support or email.
- A student advice centre with a help desk is available right in the centre of campus.
- Reading University Students' Union (RUSU) is run by students, for students. The SU champions students' views, ensuring all students are represented and leading campaigns on the things that matter to them.
- RUSU runs over 160 sports clubs and societies, as well as offering hundreds of inspiring volunteering projects and a student-run newspaper, radio station and online TV channel.
- It is also home to Café Mondial, Mojo’s Bar, nightclub 3sixty, bookshop, Korean food store, hairdresser, letting agent, and mail and binding services.
- The original Schools of Art and Science were established in 1860 and 1870; the university received its Royal Charter in 1926, the only university to do so between the two world wars.
- In 1947 the university purchased the beautiful Whiteknights campus, the former estate of the Marquess of Blandford.
- In 2008, the university merged with Henley Management College to create the Henley Business School as a key part of the university.
- The University of Reading appointed the first female university professor in England. In 1908, Edith Morley became Professor of English Language at University College Reading.
Notable Alumni and Famous Faces
- Michael Rosen – broadcaster and former Children's Laureate.
- Cornelia Parker OBE – sculptor and installation artist, Turner Prize nominee.
- Jamie Cullum – jazz musician and Radio 2 presenter.
- Linda Bennett OBE – founder of LK Bennett, Entrepreneurs’ Entrepreneur award winner 2009.
- Nicky Kinnaird MBE – founder of Space NK cosmetics.
- Dr David Williams - former chief executive of the UK Space Agency.
- Belay Ejigu Begashaw – Earth Institute of Columbia University and former minister of agriculture for Ethiopia.
- Professor Li Shirong – president, Chartered Institute of Building, China.
- Adrienne Cahalan - yachtswoman (first woman to break the record for the fastest time around the word in any type of boat).
- James Cracknell OBE - rower, Olympic gold medallist.
University of Reading, Whiteknights, PO Box 217, Reading, Berkshire, RG6 6AH