- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
Robert Gordon University (RGU) is an innovative, accessible and professionally-minded university. It takes a modern, forward-thinking approach to higher education, providing practical and vocational learning. With a great record for graduate-level employment, RGU has gone from strength to strength – proactively engaging with businesses and delivering innovative courses designed to prepare the workforce of the future.
UCAS Code: R36
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Gold is awarded to institutions that consistently deliver outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for their students. Find out more about TEF.
Level of study
- Undergraduate 73%
- Postgraduate 27%
Mode of study
- Full Time 73%
- Part Time 27%
Where students come from
- UK 83%
- EU 9%
- Other 8%
- Male 39%
- Female 61%
Undergraduate Open Days
Open days allow you to experience the university first hand, and help you decide if it's the right place for you.
Student Services and Facilities
Libraries and Information Services
- The library is equipped with more than 250 workstations, multi-function devices for printing, photocopying and scanning, Wi-Fi, and desktop power for charging personal devices.
- It offers space for quiet and individual study, complemented by an extensive new study area designed to support collaborative and group activities.
- There are a variety of part-time opportunities advertised through the Employability and Professional Enrichment Hub, including student ambassador roles in the university and jobs in restaurants, bars, shops and other sectors.
- MyCareer is the university's vacancy and events database, promoting part-time jobs, summer internships, year-long placements and graduate jobs.
- The annual part-time jobs fair takes place at the start of term in September, hosting a variety of local employers with live vacancies.
- Graduate employability is at the heart of the university's approach to education. The university works closely with industry to ensure courses provide students with the knowledge and experience to allow them to succeed after graduation and thrive in their life-long career.
- The Employability and Professional Enrichment Hub offers daily 15 minute drop-in sessions, 30 minute bookable appointments, extended guidance and mock interviews. Off-campus and part-time students can access consultations with the careers team through telephone and Skype appointments.
- RGU eHub is an electronic careers and professional development platform which offers a wealth of interactive modules on business and IT skills, employer videos, industry reports, CV advice including a CV builder, employability programmes and current news articles. Course specific information ensures students are provided with a comprehensive overview of relevant resources – including how to study abroad as part of their course, make the most of their integrated placement opportunities, targeted vacancy sources and relevant professional body information.
- Students are encouraged to register with a local doctor (GP) as soon as they arrive in Aberdeen.
- There are GP offices located near halls of residences; more information can be found on the university website.
Counselling and Mental Health Support
- Studying at university is an exciting and rewarding experience – for some it also brings changes that may, at times, be difficult and stressful. The university offers support through the Student Counselling and Well-being Centre, where counsellors and a student well-being adviser can talk over issues of concern to students.
- The university's Disability and Dyslexia Centre provides in-house assessment, advice and practical support to students and applicants with disabilities, learning differences and mental health conditions.
- The centre supports and enables students to fulfil their academic potential; it is committed to promoting accessible learning and inclusive teaching practice across the university.
- Accommodation also caters to specific requirements, including level access, ground floor rooms and a vibrating pillow alarm available for deaf students to ensure that they can be alerted to an emergency when asleep.
Other services and facilities
- RGU offers access to the Treehouse Early Care and Education centre for children between three months and five years.
- The chaplaincy offers people of all faiths and none a listening ear, confidential support, links to faith communities and assistance with major life events.
- Student Finance provides financial advice and support throughout students' studies.
- RGU:Union exists to make the student experience at RGU the best that it can be, working to listen to and represent students' views and make positive changes.
- The union provides a wide range of extracurricular opportunities such as societies, sports clubs, and volunteering, and also supports student well-being, providing help in times of need.
- The union thrives on student involvement, and is always looking for keen student volunteers to get involved. There are many different opportunities available throughout the year, from faculty officer to Freshers' team.
- Robert Gordon University was founded in 1750 as a technical college, with full university status granted in 1992.
- The university has continued to grow, investing £120 million in its development. Since 2013, all teaching has been delivered at its Garthdee campus by the River Dee.
- RGU was awarded a TEF Gold award in the Teaching Excellence Framework 2017.
- Robert Gordon University offers the only online law degree for Scots law.
Notable Alumni and Famous Faces
- Roy Macgregor OBE – founder and executive chairperson of Global Energy Group and chair of Ross County Football Club.
- Johanna Bergi – CEO Atlantic Airways.
- Gregory Poon MBE – deputy lieutenant for Aberdeen.
- Jim Heverin – director at Zaha Hadid Architects.
- Callum Innes – award-winning artist, nominated for the prestigious Turner Prize in 1995.
- Bill Morrice – managing director of Technip UK.
- Hon Felix Chung Kwok-Pan – leader of the Liberal Party, member of Legislative Council of Hong Kong for the Textiles and Garment constituency, and chair of the Hong Kong Apparel Society (HKAS).
- Duncan Skinner – chair of Glencraft Aberdeen and Aberdeen Football Club Community Trust; former CFO of Wood Group.
- Simon Drew – president of KCA Deutag.
- Hannah Miley – Commonwealth and Olympic swimmer, representing Team GB at Beijing 2008, London 2012 and Rio 2016.
The Robert Gordon University, Garthdee House, Garthdee Road, Aberdeen, AB10 7QB