Robert Gordon University
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
- 4.03 / 5.00
- 2.35 / 4.00
- 0.21 / 1.00
- 77.4 / 100.0
- 69.5 / 100.0
- 85.0 / 100.0
Robert Gordon University is located in Aberdeen, ranked as the safest university city in Scotland (Complete University Guide 2016). The city is in the north east of Scotland and has good air, rail and bus connections from most UK cities. Aberdeen attracts photographers, artists, sailors, surfers, kayakers, kite enthusiasts, rowers, walkers, golfers, mountain, rock and ice climbers, snowboarders and white water rafters.
- Entry requirements vary by course, detailed in the course description within the prospectus.
- As a general guide, for SQA's entry requirements range from AABBB–CCC; for A level, from ABB–CCC.
- Please refer to the university website for details.
- The university’s approach to teaching blends theory with practical application – applying leading edge knowledge to help students tackle real world challenges.
- This includes a focus on helping students develop their knowledge and skills, equipping them to be successful in their chosen career.
- All courses are based on a modular structure and offer a range of exit qualifications.
- Many courses are made up of both compulsory and optional modules that allow students to tailor their studies to their interests and ambitions.
- Over 90% of undergraduate courses offer placement opportunities.
- The university offers the flexibility of distance learning and part-time study options for some undergraduate courses and for most postgraduate courses.
Student Services and Facilities
- The library is equipped with over 250 workstations, multi-function devices for printing, photocopying and scanning, Wi-Fi and desktop power for charging personal devices. It offers space for quiet and individual study, complemented by an extensive new study area designed to support collaborative and group activities.
- IT facilities include 2,500 computer workstations, all halls of residence are networked and there is wireless Internet coverage in every building.
- Specialist facilities include a Clinical Skills Centre, high-tech television and radio studios and a Green Screen Suite, with the university working consistently to improve learning facilities across all academic departments.
- Student support includes study support, careers advice, an on-campus GP surgery and counselling service.
- The University’s Disability and Dyslexia Centre provides in-house assessment, advice and practical support to students and applicants with disabilities, learning differences and mental health conditions.
- The Centre supports and enables students to fulfil their academic potential.
- The Centre is committed to promoting accessible learning and inclusive teaching practice across the university and welcomes any queries students may have.
- Accommodation also caters to specific requirements, including level access, ground floor rooms and deaf alerter vibrating pillow pads, available for deaf students to ensure that they can be alerted to an emergency when asleep.
- Please refer to the university website for details.
- RGU:Union exists to make the student experience at RGU the best that it can be, working to listen and represent students views and make positive changes.
- The union provides a wide range of extra-curricular opportunities such as societies, sports clubs, and volunteering to develop students, and also support student wellbeing and provide help in times of need.
- Please refer to RGU Students’ Union website for details.
Availability of Part-Time Work
- Part-time opportunities include positions in bars, shops and restaurants, as well as working for the university as a Student Ambassador.
- The Careers and Employability Centre operates My Career, an online jobs and opportunities notice board which advertises a large number of local opportunities from employers looking to fill part-time posts.
- At the beginning of term, in September, the Centre also hosts an annual on campus part-time jobs fair.
- The Careers and Employability Centre offers daily 15-minute drop in sessions, 30-minute bookable appointments and extended guidance and mock interview preparation when required; students outwith Aberdeen can access telephone and Skype appointments.
- My Career Toolkit is an online resource with interactive topics covering areas such as Writing a CV, Preparing for Interview, Persuasive Personal Statements and much more.
- Course-specific information ensure that students get career information related to their subject area. Regardless of whether students are looking for summer work experience or are beginning to apply for a graduate job, there are specific resources available.
- For International students and UK students interested in pursuing a career abroad there is a specific International Careers page containing links to international job directories.
12,753 students in 2015–16:
Level of study
- Undergraduate 71%
- Postgraduate 29%
Mode of study
- Full Time 71%
- Part Time 29%
Where students come from
- UK 81%
- EU 9%
- Other 11%
- Male 41%
- Female 59%
- Robert Gordon University was founded in 1750 as a technical college. Full university status was granted in 1992.
- The university continues to invest and grow, with phase 1 of the Garthdee campus opening in 2013 and the new Scott Sutherland School of Architecture and the Built Environment in September 2015.
- Roy Macgregor OBE – founder and Executive Chairman of Global Energy Group and Chairman of Ross County Football Club.
- Johanna Bergi – CEO Atlantic Airways.
- Gregory Poon MBE – Deputy Lieutenant for Aberdeen.
- Jim Heverin – Director, Zaha Hadid Architects.
- Callum Innes – award-winning artist, nominated for the prestigious Turner prize in 1995.
- Bill Morrice – Managing Director, Technip UK.
- Hon Felix Chung Kwok-Pan – Chairman of the Liberal Party, Member of Legislative Council of the HKSAR (Textiles and Garment Sector) and Chairman of the Hong Kong Apparel Society (HKAS)
- Duncan Skinner – Chairman of Glencraft Aberdeen and Aberdeen Football Club Community Trust. Former CFO of Wood Group.
- Simon Drew – President KCA Deutag.
- Hannah Miley – Commonwealth and Olympic swimmer, representing Team GB at Beijing 2008, London 2012 and Rio 2016.
|Address||The Robert Gordon University