- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Robert Gordon University (RGU) welcomes a vast range of nationalities – 17,000 students from 132 countries every year. With strong links to industry and outstanding undergraduate teaching and learning outcomes (TEF Gold Award, 2017), the university provides a diverse and inclusive learning environment. Professional experience and placement opportunities are embedded in the majority of courses which, combined with excellent teaching, helps to create career-ready, global graduates.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Gold is awarded to institutions that consistently deliver outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for their students. Find out more about TEF.
International Student Statistics
2,555 international students in 2017–18
- RGU provides a Welcome Guide to all students prior to travelling. It covers everything they need to know before they reach Aberdeen, and includes tips for things to bring and what they must do to complete enrolment on campus.
- Ahead of arrival, new students are invited to join RGU's social media group for incoming students, and webinars aimed at sharing arrival information. These provide the chance to meet future classmates and new friends.
- Students arriving at both the train station and airport are guided to their accommodation and Aberdeen city centre.
- Welcome Week includes activities such as campus and city orientation events, a social calendar, and introduction to all of the university support services, societies and clubs.
- Social support is provided by the university's dedicated RES:Life team, who help students to develop networks and peer support groups. A 'buddy' system also help students settle into life in Aberdeen, guided by someone who has done it before them, who can empathise with how it feels. This helps students make the most of all that the university has to offer from the moment they arrive in Scotland.
English Language Requirements
Typical English language requirements are below, however these vary by course. Please refer to the university website for detailed guidance.
- Undergraduate: IELTS Academic Test 6.0 (minimum of 5.5 in each component); PTE Academic Test 56 (minimum of 51 in each component); or TOEFL iBT 80 (minimum of 17 in listening, 18 in reading, 20 in speaking, 17 in writing).
- Postgraduate: IELTS Academic Test 6.5 (minimum of 5.5 in each component); PTE Academic Test 61 (minimum of 51 in each component); or TOEFL iBT 88 (minimum of 17 in listening, 18 in reading, 20 in speaking, 17 in writing).
- RGU also offers a range of pre-sessional English programmes for students who don’t meet the above English entry requirements.
Accommodation for International Students
- Robert Gordon University offers a range of self-catered accommodation across the city of Aberdeen. While the university does not guarantee accommodation, its Accommodation Services team will provide a student-focused and personal service to help find suitable housing.
- Most rental costs include bills (including Internet and insurance) and 24/7 support is available if required.
- University accommodation is fully furnished with lounge and bedroom furniture, kettle, toaster, microwave, oven, fridge and freezer. A TV is also provided in the communal lounges of all accommodation except for the Craigievar Development.
- The Accommodation Solutions team also have trained private accommodation adviser on hand to offer guidance, should a student wish to seek alternative to university accommodation.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- RGU offers all international students a guaranteed scholarship discount on their fees. For undergraduate students, a £3,000 scholarship discount; for postgraduate students, a £2,000 scholarship discount.
- The Vice Chancellor's Undergraduate Scholarship: one full year's tuition fee for undergraduate students, based on academic merit.
- The RGU High Achiever Award: a £5,000 discount towards one year of study for students from the following countries: Bangladesh, Brunei, Canada, China, Egypt, Hong Kong, Indonesia, India, Kenya, Malaysia, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Thailand, UAE and Vietnam.
- Please refer to the university website for details, including scholarships available from other organisations such as Chevening and Saltire scholarships for postgraduate study.
- International students can access all student support services, including the Careers and Employability hub, Counselling and Well-being team, Disability and Dyslexia Support and more. There is a chaplaincy centre and multi-faith prayer rooms; and many catering outlets serve vegetarian, halal and vegan meals.
- English language and essay support classes are available, as are study skills sessions.
- The Student Immigration Team can be accessed via the Student Help Point for any visa related worries.
- Throughout the year, RES:Life organises events such as pancake nights, movie nights, dance lessons or seasonal crafts for Halloween, Christmas etc. It also hosts off campus events aimed at exploring the Aberdeen local area and Scotland, including daytrips to local castles and beaches, attending a Scottish Ceilidh (traditional dance) visits to Christmas markets in Edinburgh and sightseeing in Glasgow.
Quick Guides to International Tuition Fees and Finance
- Find and check tuition fees for specific courses on our Course Chooser.
- Get information about fees and funding for international students.
- Get information about fees and funding for EU students.