University of Roehampton
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
- 4.02 / 5.00
- 2.83 / 4.00
- 0.67 / 1.00
- 60.0 / 100.0
- 70.3 / 100.0
- 78.7 / 100.0
- We have a proud history in higher education stretching back almost 175 years through our four colleges, the oldest of which, Whitelands, was one of the first HE institutions to admit women.
- Our character derives from this rich history, built on community, engagement and partnership, with a belief that no matter your background, we can help you realise your ambitions.
- When you come to Roehampton, you'll also be part of one of our colleges, helping you meet people from outside your course of study.
Location and Transport
- We have the only parkland campus in a central London borough. Our beautiful campus provides a close-knit community feel.
- In addition to our main campus, we have two other historic and leafy locations within a 10 minute walk in Roehampton.
- On all our campuses, we have modern, cutting edge facilities and a vibrant social scene throughout. Best of all, we are in the heart of south west London, with easy bus links to Putney and Hammersmith, and within a 25-minute train ride of central London from nearby Barnes Station.
- Studying with us will give you the best of both worlds: the community feel of a traditional university campus, with the culture and nightlife of one of the greatest cities in the world.
- Full details of entry requirements can be found on our website.
The 7,650 students enrolled in the academic year 2014/15 comprise:
Level of study
- Undergraduate 78%
- Postgraduate 22%
Mode of study
- Full Time 88%
- Part Time 12%
- UK 88%
- EU 4%
- Other 8%
- Male 31%
- Female 69%
- The university is committed to providing our students with the option to pursue study abroad, and has a growing community of overseas students on study abroad programmes on our campus.
- We offer all of our students course flexibility, offering innovative programmes of study, enabling students to pursue particular areas of interest.
- Our academic teaching staff work are at the cutting edge of their subjects, which means their teaching is based on the very latest knowledge, and we have 10 National Teaching Fellows.
- Unlike many other universities, all of our students are taught by leading professors from their first year of study. Our size means that you'll get to know your lecturers and fellow students, giving you a more personal learning experience.
- The University of Roehampton achieved 86% for overall student satisfaction in the 2014 National Student Survey, with 87% of our students satisfied with their teaching.
- Our employment rates afterwards are testament to the quality of education we provide: the most recent DLHE survey of the employment of our graduates showed 91% in work or further study within six months of gaining their degrees.
- Roehampton has an excellent research profile: we are the most research-intensive modern university in the country.
- We have some of the most highly regarded academic departments in the UK, with two-thirds of our research judged either 'world leading' or 'internationally excellent' in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework survey of research quality.
- Our students, whether at undergraduate or postgraduate level, benefit from studying with top professors from their first year of study.
- Today the university has a broad range of expertise across the arts and humanities, business, social sciences and the human and life sciences, at the same time as maintaining its historic strength in education.
- 94% of our research in Dance was rated 'world leading' or 'internationally excellent', making it the best Dance department in the UK. We are the third best University in London for the quality of our research in Education, and the 4th best in London for English.
- Our teaching across our ten academic departments is excellent: in the 2014 National Student Survey, 87% of our students expressed satisfaction with our teaching.
Type of Qualification:
- We offer excellent teaching facilities, including state-of-the-art lecture theatres, modern sport and science laboratories, dance studios, drama performance spaces and film and media facilities. Our Library is open 24 hours a day during peak times in the academic year, and at least until midnight all year round. There is access to computer suites 24 hours a day throughout the year.
- We have commenced ambitious plan to enhance our campus, which is already the best and most beautiful in London. This will allow us to continue to offer our students the best of both worlds: a stunning parkland campus, with modern facilities, in the heart of south west London.
- Disability Services support disabled students throughout their time at Roehampton.
- We can communicate with your academic department, make exam arrangements, and help you apply for the Disabled Students' Allowance.
- For more information on disability services at the University of Roehampton, please visit the website.
- The Roehampton Students' Union co-ordinate, facilitate and support a range of opportunities for students to engage, from joining student societies, volunteering on projects, presenting on our Fresh Air TV and radio stations, through to representing thier college in the College Cup. Student activities at Roehampton are as diverse as the students who organise them. Societies are for anyone and everyone; they cover a wide range of interests. Harry Potter fanatics can join the Hogwarts Society, where they can attend ‘potions class’ and participate in Quidditch matches. Those passionate about musical theatre, singing and dancing can join the Roehampton Players Society. Students can start up their own societies too.
- Based on our Froebel campus, the Union bar is the university’s main social hub with a fully stocked bar, a variety of food available and a popular schedule of events including Karaoke, Open Mic and Slap it on student DJ slots on throughout the week. The Union Bar and adjoining Monte Hall is also home to our legendary club night THE BOP, held every Friday night throughout the term. The Union bar is a great place to meet, study, work and play. In the summer, the Union courtyard plays host to a range of food stalls including major high street names.
- There is a huge variety of bars, pubs and clubs in Putney, Hammersmith and Clapham – all easily accessible by public transport. Central London is also only a tube or train ride away.
Availability of Part-Time Work
- Our Unitemps service provides students part-time jobs or temporary jobs on-campus and nearby. And students can sign up before they begin with us.
- The University offers a significant range of paid internship opportunities to all of its students and to recent alumni.
- Our Graduate Mentoring Scheme partners our students with Roehampton alumni working in a variety of different work sectors both in London and internationally such as authors, journalists, scientists and teachers, helping them get tailored advice in a field in which they are interested and to build their networks.
- We offer our students personalised careers advice, CV workshops and online resources. Each of our academic department brings in guest speakers to talk to students about careers in which they have interest.
Career skills are central to every one of our academic courses, so no matter what you study, we'll help give you the skills you'll need for the job market.
We also offer a Career Mentoring Scheme, which will match you with a Roehampton graduate or friend of the university to help you to succeed.
We know it works, as the latest national figures show that 91% of our graduates are in employment or further study within six months of graduation - one of the best rates in London.
Recent/Prospective New Builds
- The University of Roehampton has commenced an ambitious plan to enhance our campus, which is already the best and most beautiful in London. This will allow us to continue to offer our students the best of both worlds: a stunning parkland campus, with modern facilities, in the heart of south west London.
- Our £80m masterplan will modernise facilities across the university, create new student accommodation and further improve our landscape for the benefit of our students, staff and the local community. The centrepiece of the strategy is the creation of a state-of-the-art library, which will be a visually impressive focal point that underlines our commitment to world leading teaching and research.
- New student accommodation is being built to meet rising demand, reflecting our growing national and international reputation. A total of 390 new high-quality bedrooms will be provided at Digby Stuart College. The accommodation will feature two garden courtyards for students to work or socialise. It will mean our student experience, already recognised as one of the best in the capital, will be even better. This is part of a wider project to provide a greater range of accommodation options. The university has recently finished building 210 new bedrooms at Chadwick Hall, located next to Froebel College, next to the Grade II listed Downshire House.
|Address||University of Roehampton