What Do International Students Study?

English Language Requirements

  • If English is not your first language, you must demonstrate that you have sufficient language proficiency before your study programme begins. For more information please visit our website.
  • In addition, all students can benefit from the Help Desk run by English Language Co-ordinator Janet McAlpin. This is a facility for students seeking help or advice for specific communication tasks, or for those who want to improve particular English skills.
  • Before the beginning of each academic year there is a two-week English for Musicians course. The academy invites selected international students who would benefit from intensive help with English before beginning their studies. Language classes are also available during the academic year.
  • For students who are not EU or EEA citizens and who are being sponsored for a Tier 4 General Student visa, UK Visas and Immigration require an overall score of at least IELTS 5.5 or Pearson 51, with a score no lower than IELTS 5.5 or Pearson 51 for each individual element of the test (reading, writing, listening, and speaking).

Fees and Funding

The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2016–2017):

Type of Course Undergraduate Taught Postgraduate
Classroom £21,320 £22,120
Mixed - -
Laboratory - -
Clinical - -

Pre-Arrival and Welcome

  • Around 650 to 700 students study here every year, with around forty different nationalities, from all over the world.
  • Before you arrive at the academy, you can contact the Admissions Officer in the Registry. All new students are formally welcomed to the Royal Academy of Music in the Enrolment Week before the start of full term. During enrolment week there will be opportunities to meet your department administrator and senior members of the academic staff including Tutors.
  • Depending on their particular needs, some students will be invited to attend an intensive English course at the academy before the start of the academic year (see English language requirement above). Other students will attend weekly classes throughout the academic year in support of their studies; these classes lead to an examination designed to focus students’ work and to give them a formal indication of their progress.
  • When you are here, the International Officer of the Students’ Union and the Counsellor, Dani Singer, are available to help you with any problems, including those arising from cultural differences. You may also find the British Council’s Education UK website useful. The Prepare For Success website has an interactive web learning tool for international students who are getting ready to come to the UK.

Accommodation for International Students

  • International Students’ House is a few minutes’ walk from the academy.
  • It offers accommodation to international students during the academic year as well as short-stay accommodation.
  • There are also numerous social facilities including a bar and restaurant, which academy students are welcome to use whether or not they are resident at the house.

Organisations for International Students