Royal Academy of Music
- Undergraduate Students
- International Students
- The academy takes enormous pride in the creative success of its postgraduate students and the outstanding reputation of our programmes.
- Postgraduate students are a vital part of the academy’s musical culture, working in a uniquely collaborative performance environment ideally suited to helping talented musicians – from across the globe – to achieve their musical ambitions.
What do Postgraduate Students Study?
- The academy’s two-year MPhil and three-year PhD research degrees are aimed at performers and composers who already have highly developed skills and focused career aspirations.
- Students work with an individual supervisor and a team of creative staff at the Academy to develop their work through engaging in a substantial research project. This will normally be directly connected to and driven by creative activity as a performer or composer but will also require a critical context and critical reflection.
- Offered as awards of the University of London, both programmes ensure their distinctiveness by demanding the same high standards from our students, as with all other academy degrees: of students reflecting the highest possible practical standards.
- Much of the academy’s research activity is practice-based, focusing on the practical aspects of music in the ares of performance and composition. This is a broad field, encompassing the analysis and application of performance materials and research on instruments, as well as the critical and reflective study of practice itself.
The 410 postgraduate students enrolled in the academic year 2014/15 comprise:
Mode of study
- Full Time 100%
- UK 50%
- EU 22%
- Other 28%
Numbers of Students by Subject Area
|Creative arts & design||15||397||412|
Mode of study:
- Full time (17)
Postgraduate Fees and Funding
The following are the typical annual course fees for postgraduate students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2016–2017):
|Type of Course||Taught Postgraduate|