Royal Northern College of Music
- Undergraduate Students
- International Students
The Royal Northern College of Music (RNCM) Graduate School offers a superb environment in which to pursue advanced studies in performance (including conducting), composition, musicology, music psychology, and music education.
Postgraduate Student Statistics
315 postgraduate students in 2016–17
Mode of study
- Full Time 97%
- Part Time 3%
- UK 56%
- EU 11%
- Other 33%
Numbers of Students by Subject Area
Figures are rounded to the nearest five.
The following are the typical annual course fees for postgraduate students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2017–2018). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- A number of scholarships are offered to both UK and international applicants who demonstrate outstanding ability and potential at audition; these do not require a separate application.
- UK postgraduate and international applicants to the College may apply for a bursary towards the cost of fees and maintenance. These awards are strictly limited in number and are made on the basis of need. In return, students are expected to undertake directed activities for the benefit of the College.
- The RNCM may occasionally offer Postgraduate Research Studentships, which cover full tuition fees with the possibility of an additional maintenance grant. The Research Studentships are offered through a competitive process, for outstanding candidates accepting either a full-time or part-time place on the PhD programme.
Accommodation for Postgraduate Students
- Many postgraduate students at the RNCM choose to live in Sir Charles Groves Hall of Residence, located right next door to the college. Postgraduate students will be offered the remaining places in the hall after offers have been made to undergraduate students.