University of Salford
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
- 4.05 / 5.00
- 2.54 / 4.00
- 0.33 / 1.00
- 59.2 / 100.0
- 71.3 / 100.0
- 79.9 / 100.0
- Our past is rooted in the great Industrial Revolution of the 19th century, which changed the world. The original University of Salford, then called the Salford Technical Institute, was founded in 1896 to meet the demands of the thriving industries in the region at that time.
Location and Transport
- Our campus is based across three sites. The largest site, Peel Park, is located just 1.5 miles from the centre of Manchester and set next to 60 acres of parkland.
- Salford Crescent railway station is at the gateway to Peel Park, with frequent direct trains to Manchester, Manchester Airport and across the UK.
- Our Frederick Road site sits at the other side of Salford Crescent railway station and is just a short walk from Peel Park.
- Our third site, MediaCityUK, is just four miles from Manchester, and is a hub for digital teaching, research and learning.
- A free bus service runs between Peel Park, Frederick Road and MediaCityUK. Peel Park and Frederick Road are on a bus route that runs through the centre of Manchester. The Metrolink tram service runs from Manchester to MediaCityUK every few minutes.
- Entry requirements vary according to the course you are applying for. For up-to-date information, search for the programme you are interested in on our website.
The 18,920 students enrolled in the academic year 2014/15 comprise:
Level of study
- Undergraduate 79%
- Postgraduate 21%
Mode of study
- Full Time 86%
- Part Time 14%
- UK 83%
- EU 5%
- Other 11%
- Male 45%
- Female 55%
- We provide real-world, career-focused programmes. Many of our courses offer live briefs, internships and placements.
- Flexible learning options include part-time, day release and distance learning study.
- We actively promote Erasmus exchange opportunities, which are available to students on eligible programmes.
- If you choose an accelerated degree course, you’ll complete your studies in two years rather than three. Accelerated degrees are available for: BSc (Hons) Architectural Design & Technology; BSc (Hons) Building Surveying; BSc (Hons) Construction Project Management; BSc (Hons) Quantity Surveying; and BSc (Hons) Property and Real Estate.
- We offer a number of foundation year courses, including an international foundation year. For the most up-to-date list, search for courses on our website.
- We are a research-driven institution, using innovation and creativity to find solutions to real-world problems. Our multidisciplinary research environment is recognised around the world, attracting more than 3,000 international students.
- Salford Business School was awarded the Times Higher Education Business School of the Year award in 2014.
- The School of Arts and Media, based at MediaCityUK and the flagship New Adelphi building, is one of the largest in the country. Our excellent links with the creative and digital industries allow us to provide live projects for our students.
- Courses at the School of Computing, Science and Engineering have accreditations from the Joint Board of Moderators and 12 other industry bodies.
- We have a huge range of teaching and research facilities, including: a fully-immersive virtual reality environment; acoustics labs; wind tunnels; flight simulators; robotics labs; and a gas and petroleum engineering lab.
- Our health and social care teaching and research facilities include: working clinics in podiatry; sport and injury rehabilitation; a prosthetics and orthotics lab; a human performance lab; and a digital imaging suite.
Type of Qualification:
- askUs is our centre for student advice and support. It offers help and support on a wide range of student issues, including finances, visas, wellbeing and disability.
- Our main library is open 24 hours a day, 364 days a year. Subject-specific academic librarians are available for each school.
- Our on-campus sports centre features a 25m swimming pool, sauna and spa, fitness suites, spinning studios, a large sports hall, squash courts, a health hub and outdoor pitches.
- Our English Language Centre provides high-quality, fully-accredited and internationally-recognised qualifications for people whose first language is not English.
- Our campus features a union-operated bar, grocery shop, Subway and Costa Coffee outlets, and a staffed branch of Santander bank.
- Our Disability and Learner Support team provide support and advice to all of our disabled students.
- Support is available to both prospective and current students. To find out more, visit the askUS website.
- The Students’ Union operates over 120 different clubs, societies and activities. It also manages shops, study spaces, and cafes and bars on campus.
- The Give It A Go scheme offers a range of different clubs and activities on a pay and play basis, making trying new things flexible and affordable.
- The student run radio station, Shock Radio, broadcasts live from the heart of the Union.
- The Union also produces its own newspaper, the Salfordian, which is written and edited by students.
Availability of Part-Time Work
- A dedicated team of staff source and promote part-time, vacation-period, placement, voluntary and graduate job opportunities, direct from employers.
- An annual part-time jobs fair gives students the opportunity to find part-time vacancies.
- Careers advice and information is available to all students and graduates for life.
- Students are encouraged to develop their enterprise skills. Support and inspiration is available to help students and graduates turn their ideas into commercially viable businesses.
- On-campus recruitment fairs are delivered annually between October and February.
- Students and recent graduates can engage with a range of work experience schemes, lasting from one week to three months.
We are incredibly proud of our successful alumni who have gone on to achieve great things after their time with us. Here is a selection of names you may recognise:
- Ajith Dias – Chairman, Sri Lankan Airlines
- Kate Abdo – Sky Sports News Presenter
- Andy Bond – Former Chief Executive of Asda
- Anwar Choudhury – Former British High Commissioner to Bangladesh
- Christopher Eccleston – Actor
- Mike Flewitt – CEO of McLaren Automotive
- John Hammond – BBC presenter
- Jonathan Higgs – Musician in the band Everything Everything.
- Peter Kay – Comedian
- Javed Khan – CEO of Barnados
- Sarfraz Manzoor – Writer, Journalist and Documentary Maker
- Karl Newton – Executive Producer at ITV Studios
- Karimah Es Sabar – CEO of Centre for Drug Research and Development in Canada
- B. N. Suresh (Byrana Nagappa Suresh) – Aerospace Scientist
- David Tupman – Lead Developer of iPad and iPhone
- Maxine Wrigley – Chief Executive of A National Voice
|Address||University of Salford The Crescent Salford Greater Manchester M5 4WT|