University of Salford
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
- We offer 187 postgraduate qualifications.
- Many of our postgraduate courses have several entry points throughout the year, allowing you to start your studies at a point that suits you.
- We offer a range of flexible learning options, including part-time study and distance learning.
- Our multi-disciplinary research environment is recognized around the world, attracting more than 3,000 international students each year.
What do Postgraduate Students Study?
The 4,025 postgraduate students enrolled in the academic year 2014/15 comprise:
Mode of study
- Full Time 58%
- Part Time 42%
- UK 60%
- EU 6%
- Other 33%
Numbers of Students by Subject Area
|Subjects allied to medicine||110||871||981|
|Business & administrative studies||95||649||744|
|Engineering & technology||106||414||520|
|Architecture, building & planning||160||244||404|
|Creative arts & design||20||117||137|
|Mass communications & documentation||13||80||93|
|Historical & philosophical studies||1||0||1|
You can study postgraduate qualifications in each of our seven Schools:
- Arts and Media
- The Built Environment
- Computing, Science and Engineering
- Environment and Life Sciences
- Health Sciences
- Nursing, Midwifery, Social Work and Social Sciences
- Salford Business School
Type of Qualification:
Postgraduate Fees and Funding
The following are the typical annual course fees for postgraduate students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2016–2017):
|Type of Course||Taught Postgraduate|
Bursaries and Scholarships
- Fees for postgraduate courses vary according to the course and level of study you are undertaking. For up-to-date information about tuition fees, search for the programme you are interested in on our website.
- The Vice Chancellor’s Excellence Scholarship is available to master’s students who have 2:1 honours degree or equivalent. This gives UK/EU students a £1,500 fee discount on all master’s courses, or a £4,000 discount if you are studying the Salford MBA.
- International students can also receive the Vice Chancellor’s Excellence Scholarship. This awards a £4000 discount for The Salford MBA, MSc Petroleum and Gas Engineering, and MSc Gas Engineering and Management; and a £2,000 or £3,000 discount for other courses.
- Graduates from the University of Salford who return for postgraduate study can receive a 25% discount on course fees.
- If you’re an international student with a 2:2 honours degree or equivalent and you join a master’s course in the area of science or technology, you will be given a £1,000 bursary. All taught master’s courses are eligible in the Schools of: the Built Environment; Environment and Life Sciences; and Computing, Science and Engineering.
- If you are an international student and come from a country denoted by the World Bank as having a low or lower-middle economy, you’ll be eligible for a £1,000 discount on course fees.
- A number of public and non-governmental organisations hold annual bursary competitions. In some instances, the money is available for study anywhere; in others, you may be required to apply for study at a specific university or in a specific country.
- For more information about funding postgraduate study, visit our website.
- On-site accommodation is available for postgraduate home/EU and international students and can be secured online via our accommodation website.
- Our Careers and Employability Team are available to provide impartial and confidential advice to all of our students and graduates.
- They hold a number of events and workshops throughout the year, giving you the opportunity to develop your CV, meet employers, attend careers fairs and much more.
- We also have a dedicated Enterprise Team, which supports students to to turn ideas into successful businesses.
- For more information about careers advice at the University of Salford, visit our website.
Facilities and Support for Postgraduate Students
- Our postgraduate training programme will help you develop the skills needed for effective research, whether you’re planning a career in academia or the public or private sectors.
- Our online doctoral programme enables candidates who cannot commit to a full- or part-time degree, to complete their PhD with Salford.