- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
The University of Sheffield is a leading Russell Group university, founded over 100 years ago. It is renowned for the excellence, impact and distinctiveness of its research-led learning and teaching; and famous for its vibrant student social life in a unique city.
UCAS Code: S18
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Silver is awarded to institutions that deliver high-quality teaching, learning and outcomes for their students, and consistently exceed "rigorous national quality requirements" for higher education in the UK. Find out more about TEF.
Level of study
- Undergraduate 67%
- Postgraduate 33%
Mode of study
- Full Time 90%
- Part Time 10%
Where students come from
- UK 70%
- EU 5%
- Other 25%
- Male 47%
- Female 53%
Student Services and Facilities
Libraries and Information Services
- Five libraries are available to students, with the Information Commons and the Diamond offering 24/7 study facilities. There are different working environments including silent study spaces, research collections, social spaces and cafés.
- Students can access more than 1.3 million books and journals, with a further 435,000 e-books and e-journals. As one of the UK's leading research libraries, it is home to around 25,000 rare books and over 150 special collections which includes archives, manuscripts, photographs, books, and more.
- The virtual learning environment gives access to course notes, lecture recordings, assignment uploads and other resources.
- The Careers Service runs Jobshop, a walk-in service based in the Students' Union, advertising vacancies for students.
- The Students' Union itself employs over 500 students every year.
- Right from the first year of a student's degree, the Careers Service can help them work out what they want to do and how to get there.
- Specialist advisers show students what employers are looking for and how to market themselves – not just their skills and subject knowledge, but also their personality and achievements outside the classroom.
- The service also provides opportunities throughout the course to meet employers offering placements, jobs and work experience.
- The university Health Service is an NHS general practice, offering healthcare to all registered students.
- Located on Gell Street, the practice is conveniently close to university buildings.
- Students can book appointments via an app, online, by phone or in person.
Counselling and Mental Health Support
- The university provides a free, confidential counselling service for students at the University of Sheffield.
- The service provides students the opportunity to talk and reflect with fully trained counselling specialists. Students can also access mental health support through workshops, online self-help resources, well-being events, and be referred for one-to-one therapy from SAMHS, Sheffield’s student mental health triage service.
- Students can access free online support from peers and professionals, 24/7, with trained counsellors from Big White Wall.
- The university can provide specialist support to students with a long-term condition or impairment that can affect the ability to study, for the duration of their course.
- Please refer to the university website for details.
Other services and facilities
- The Diamond features specialist engineering teaching facilities and sector-leading creative media facilities, including private editing booths and a full TV studio.
- The award-winning Student Services Information Desk (SSiD) is the first place to go for information, help, support and advice. It is staffed by a friendly, professional, team who are trained to help deal with questions and concerns.
- The highly-rated Students' Union is run by students, for students. It provides practical help and support, along with entertainment.
- The union has over 400 societies and sports clubs to choose from. The Give It A Go scheme allows students to sample different clubs and activities on a pay-and-play basis, with no pressure to join.
- Club nights and live music, comedy and talks run year-round, along with bars, cafés, shops, and an award-winning cinema.
- Granted Royal Charter in 1905 and opened by King Edward VII.
- Winner of four Queen's Anniversary Prizes in 1998, 2000, 2002 and 2007.
- Former staff and alumni include six Nobel Prize winners.
- A University of Sheffield chemistry graduate was the first Britain into space. In 1989 Helen Sharman answered a radio advert which said: 'Astronaut wanted. No experience necessary'. In 1991 her visit into space took her to the Mir space station where she conducted experiments into the effects of weightlessness.
Notable Alumni and Famous Faces
- The Rt Hon David Blunkett – former MP for Sheffield Brightside.
- Stephen Daldry CBE – director of films Billy Elliott, The Hours, and director and producer of The Crown.
- Dame Jessica Ennis Hill – Heptathlon World, European and Olympic champion, winning Gold at the London 2012 Olympics and silver at Rio 2016.
- Eddie Izzard – comedian, actor.
- Sir Harry Kroto – Nobel Prize for Chemistry.
- Amy Johnson – pioneering aviator of the 1930s.
- Lee Child – best-selling author of the Jack Reacher novel series.
- Dan Walker – journalist and television presenter.
- Helen Sharman OBE – Britain's first astronaut.
- Hilary Mantel CBE, FRSL – author and winner of the Man Booker Prize.
The University of Sheffield, Western Bank, Sheffield, S10 2TN