- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
The University of Sheffield is a leading Russell Group university, founded over 100 years ago. It is renowned for the excellence, impact and distinctiveness of its research-led learning and teaching; and famous for its vibrant student social life in a unique city.
UCAS Code: S18
League Table Scores
The average UCAS tariff score of new students entering the university.Read more
A guide to how satisfied students are with the quality of teaching they receive.Read more
A measure of the quality of the research undertaken in the university.Read more
A measure of the proportion of staff involved in high-quality research in the university.Read more
A guide to the employability of graduates on completion of their courses at the university.Read more
The average staffing levels at the university.Read more
Academic Services Spend
A guide to how much the university spends on supporting services such as libraries and IT.Read more
A guide to how much the university spends on supporting facilities such as the careers service, health and counselling services and sport facilities.Read more
The percentage of graduates achieving a first or upper second class honours degree – the class of degree achieved can impact a graduate’s employment prospects.Read more
The proportion of students expected to successfully complete their studies and gain a degree from the university.Read more
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Silver is awarded to institutions that deliver high-quality teaching, learning and outcomes for their students, and consistently exceed "rigorous national quality requirements" for higher education in the UK. Find out more about TEF.
Level of study
- Undergraduate 70%
- Postgraduate 30%
Mode of study
- Full Time 90%
- Part Time 10%
Where students come from
- UK 71%
- EU 5%
- Other 24%
- Male 49%
- Female 51%
Student Services and Facilities
- The university offers 24/7 library and study space access through the Information Commons, the Western Bank Library and The Diamond.
- The Careers Service runs Jobshop, a walk-in service based in the union, advertising vacancies for students.
- The Students’ Union itself employs over 500 students every year.
- Right from the first year of a student's degree, the Careers Service can help them work out what they want to do and how to get there.
- Specialist advisers show students what employers are looking for and how to market themselves – not just their skills and subject knowledge but also their personality and achievements outside the classroom.
- The service also provides opportunities throughout the course to meet employers offering placements, jobs and work experience.
- The university Health Service is an NHS general practice, offering healthcare to all registered students.
- Located on Gell St, the practice is conveniently close to university buildings.
- Students can book appointments via an app, online, by phone or in person.
- The university Counselling Service is a free, confidential service for students at the University of Sheffield.
- The team run group workshops with no registration required, and also take referrals for one-to-one therapy from SAMHS, Sheffield's student mental health triage service.
- The university can provide specialist support to students with a long-term condition or impairment that can affect the ability to study, for the duration of their studies.
- Please refer to the university website for details.
- The highly-rated Students' Union is run by students, for students, providing practical help and support, along with entertainment.
- It offers over 300 student clubs and societies.
- Club nights and live music events run year-round, along with bars, cafés, shops and a cinema.
- Granted Royal Charter in 1905 and opened by King Edward VII.
- Winner of four Queen's Anniversary Prizes in 1998, 2000, 2002 and 2007.
- Former staff and alumni include six Nobel Prize winners.
- A University of Sheffield chemistry graduate was the first Britain into space. In 1989 Helen Sharman answered a radio advert which said: 'Astronaut wanted. No experience necessary'. In 1991 her visit into space took her to the Mir space station where she conducted experiments into the effects of weightlessness.
Notable Alumni and Famous Faces
- The Rt Hon David Blunkett – former MP for Sheffield Brightside.
- Stephen Daldry CBE – director of films Billy Elliott, The Hours, and The Reader. Artistic Director of Royal Court Theatre (1992–1998).
- Jessica Ennis – Olympic Heptathlon Champion, London 2012. European Heptathlon Champion, Barcelona 2010. World Heptathlon Champion, Berlin 2009.
- Joanne Harris – award-winning author of books including Chocolat.
- Eddie Izzard – comedian, actor.
- Amy Johnson – pioneering aviator of the 1930s.
- Sir Harry Kroto – Nobel Prize for Chemistry 1996.
- Lee Child – best-selling author of the Jack Reacher novel series.
- Hilary Mantel CBE, FRSL – author and winner of the Man Booker Prize 2009.
- Helen Sharman OBE – Britain's first astronaut.
The University of Sheffield, Western Bank , Sheffield , S10 2TN