- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
The University of Sheffield is one of the top 75 universities in the world, according to QS World University Rankings in 2019. It hosts a thriving community of over 5,000 international students from 125 countries. Rated as a highly student-friendly city, Sheffield combines a welcoming and affordable location with easy access to the scenic Peak District, and a great music scene.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Silver is awarded to institutions that deliver high-quality teaching, learning and outcomes for their students, and consistently exceed "rigorous national quality requirements" for higher education in the UK. Find out more about TEF.
International Student Statistics
7,800 international students in 2017–18
- A list of things to check before arrival can be found on the university website.
- Students flying into Manchester Airport during the main arrivals period in September may be able to use the university's meet and greet airport collection service. Please refer to the university website for details.
- An orientation programme takes place at the start of each academic semester. It includes events and activities to help students find their way around Sheffield, meet other new students and adjust to life at university.
English Language Requirements
- Undergraduates: a minimum of IELTS 6 or equivalent.
- Postgraduates: a minimum of IELTS 6.5 or equivalent.
- TOEFL (IBT): 80, with at least 17 in listening, 17 in writing, 18 in reading, and 20 in speaking.
Accommodation for International Students
- University accommodation is an affordable option and students are guaranteed a safe, friendly place to live which offers good value for money.
- Both self-catered and catered accommodation is available, all with Internet access.
- International students are spread evenly throughout the accommodation, rather than clustered together.
- University accommodation is 5–20 minutes from the university.
- Students may stay in their accommodation during the Christmas and Easter vacations.
International Tuition Fees
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2018–2019). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Undergraduate (£)||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.