The University of Sheffield
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
Campus and Crime Map
- Almost all students are guaranteed a room throughout their studies.
- Over 5,500 university-owned rooms, including en-suite, offer catered or self-catered accommodation within walking distance of lectures.
- Rent includes utility bills, room contents insurance and free Wi-Fi.
- Private housing is reasonably priced and also available close to lectures.
The University of Sheffield
|Number of university/college beds||5,413|
|Typical annual cost of university/college accommodation||£5,415–£5,415|
|Typical annual cost of private accommodation||£4,576–£5,060|
- City Population: 553,000
- Student Population: 48,000
- The rejuvenation of the city has put Sheffield back on the map, with the multi-million-pound remodelling of the city centre a major contributory factor.
- Known for its friendliness, it has long been a popular city with students, a high proportion of whom choose to stay, or return, and settle here.
- Students live throughout the city, rather than in isolated enclaves, demonstrating just how easy it is to get around. Rents and the cost of living are generally reasonable.
- The Supertram serves both universities, the city centre and a number of the main venues, and buses are reliable with fares among the cheapest in the UK.
- Cycling is only for the fit or the determined as Sheffield is built on 7 hills; nevertheless, it has an excellent network of designated cycle routes.
- London is just over 160 miles away with frequent train services taking about 2 hours 15 minutes.
- The nearest airports are Manchester, East Midlands and Robin Hood Airport.
- Coaches serve many UK destinations.
Culture and Nightlife
- The Motorpoint Arena and Sheffield City Hall are the two main concert venues, whilst the Leadmill and Octagon Centre put on regular gigs. Sheffield has a reputation for a vibrant music scene and legendary clubs.
- The Millennium Galleries house major exhibitions from the V&A and the Tate. Kelham Island Museum provides an insight into Sheffield's steel and cutlery industries.
- Two main theatres, the Crucible and Lyceum, along with the smaller Studio theatre provide the largest theatre complex outside London's South Bank; Sheffield also has more than 30 cinema screens, including those at the acclaimed independent Showroom Cinema.
- Sheffield has 3 climbing centres, an Olympic-size swimming pool, ice-skating and one of the biggest bouldering walls in the UK at The Climbing Works. One third of Sheffield is within the Peak District National Park, a draw for hill walking and rock climbing enthusiasts.
- Spectators can watch ice hockey (Sheffield Steelers) and basketball (Sheffield Sharks) at the Arena, or Sheffield Wednesday and Sheffield United football teams, or Rugby League.