SOAS University of London
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
SOAS University of London offers specialist postgraduate programmes; open modules allow a choice of a wide range of subjects. Students gain an understanding of complex contemporary issues and knowledge of non-Western theories, developing careers that make a real difference in the world. A research-intensive institution, known for its distinctive regional focus and global relevance, areas of future research include sharing a small planet, and global diplomacy and governance.
Postgraduate Student Statistics
3,085 postgraduate students in 2016–17
Mode of study
- Full Time 63%
- Part Time 37%
- UK 47%
- EU 15%
- Other 37%
Numbers of Students by Subject Area
|East & South Asian Studies||35||175||210|
|Middle Eastern & African Studies||35||155||190|
|History of Art, Architecture & Design||30||155||185|
|Business & Management Studies||10||120||135|
|Communication & Media Studies||15||80||90|
|Theology & Religious Studies||20||65||90|
|Accounting & Finance||10||70||80|
|Agriculture & Forestry||0||30||30|
|Geography & Environmental Science||0||10||10|
Figures are rounded to the nearest five.
Postgraduate Tuition Fees
The following are the typical annual course fees for postgraduate students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2018–2019). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- SOAS offers a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and awards to support students.
- A number of scholarships are also provided by the University of London, the British government and other external organisations.
- The scholarships at SOAS are distributed through a competitive application process with respect to financial need and/or academic merit. The range of scholarships is diverse – some support students from specific countries or a group of countries, while others focus on particular courses of study or research.
Accommodation for Postgraduate Students
- SOAS postgraduate students have exclusive access to Paul Robeson House on Pentonville Road, a 20-minute walk from Russell Square.
- Paul Robeson House is fitted out with 259 en-suite rooms.