- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
Situated in a lively city centre destination, Solent University is a dynamic and ambitious international university, spanning business and law, the creative industries, engineering and technology, maritime, media, sport and tourism. The university has invested extensively in facilities and buildings, due for completion in 2019. It is also home to one of the world's leading maritime training academies.
UCAS Code: S30
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Silver is awarded to institutions that deliver high-quality teaching, learning and outcomes for their students, and consistently exceed "rigorous national quality requirements" for higher education in the UK. Find out more about TEF.
Level of study
- Undergraduate 95%
- Postgraduate 5%
Mode of study
- Full Time 87%
- Part Time 13%
Where students come from
- UK 83%
- EU 12%
- Other 5%
- Male 57%
- Female 43%
Undergraduate Open Days
Open days allow you to experience the university first hand, and help you decide if it's the right place for you.
Student Services and Facilities
Libraries and Information Services
- The Customer Service Excellence award-winning library is open 24 hours a day during peak periods. It offers a wide range of subscription-based online resources to support learning, accessible from anywhere.
- A modern and spacious learning environment across five floors, it has over 450 PCs, Macs and laptops.
- Solent Futures links with over 3,000 employers based regionally, nationally and internationally. Opportunities are advertised on their new careers platform, Solent Futures Online Jobs. This includes a wide range of local part-time jobs as well as placements, volunteering roles and graduate opportunities.
- The university also employs students to work on campus in a range of roles, including student ambassadors, library assistants and events coordinators.
- Solent Futures offer careers advice for life to all students, apprentices and graduates. Support is available both online and face-to-face through workshops, drop-in sessions, and bookable one-to-one career appointments to discuss career options, decision-making and further study.
- Students wishing to set up their own businesses or become freelancers are supported by a number of initiatives, including the university's creative agency, Solent Creatives, and the Re:So store − the first fully student-operated retail initiative in a UK shopping centre.
- Students can access many extracurricular programmes including mentor and work placement programmes.
- The university arranges registration for new students with one of the local GP surgeries during induction. It also has information on local GPs, walk-in services, clinics and dentists.
Counselling and Mental Health Support
- The university has a team of therapy and mental health professionals. Support includes counselling, mental health advice, hypnotherapy and CBT. It offers free, confidential therapy for students to talk through things that are worrying them, learn strategies to improve their coping skills, and also supports students to access external mental health services.
- The Student Hub team provides information, advice and guidance on all matters relating to general well-being, from homesickness to relationships, and personal or health matters. Student Advisers in the Student Hub have received Mental Health First Aid training.
- Access Solent is the university's Disability Service, which aims to remove barriers to learning, provide learning support, and enable students to enjoy the full use of all the facilities at the university.
- The service encourages students with specific learning differences, autism, long term medical conditions, physical or sensory impairments, and mental health conditions to get in touch.
- Learning support can include exam arrangements, assistive technology, screening for dyslexia, and specialist mentoring and study skills support.
Other services and facilities
- The Student Hub is the first point of contact for any queries whether course-related or personal matters which may be affecting studies. They can help with well-being and provide advice on regulations, processes and policy, as well as supplying students with official letters and references.
- The Student Funding team provides information and guidance for students with any money worries, covering most aspects of student funding including loans, grants, financial hardship, state benefits and money management.
- The Students' Union supports and protects the rights of students and offers independent advice on academic matters such as extenuating circumstances.
- A hub of activities for students, it offers social events and opportunities for building skills and experience through student clubs, societies, volunteering and in the running of the union itself through the elected student officers.
- The union represents students on all matters regarding university policy and works with local organisations to represent the wider student body on a national level.
- Solent University gained university status in July 2005.
- Its origins can be traced to a private School of Art founded in 1856, which became Southampton College of Art.
- Mergers with the Southampton College of Technology and the College of Nautical Studies led to the establishment of Southampton Institute in 1984.
Solent University alumnus Joseph Garrett may be better known to many as YouTuber Stampy: famous for his Minecraft videos, he even has two Guinness World Records to his name.
Notable Alumni and Famous Faces
- Jenny Packham – leading fashion designer, favoured by A-listers and royals.
- Roger Towner – registrar general of shipping and seamen at the Maritime and Coastguard Agency.
- Guy Platten – CEO UK Chamber of Shipping.
- Lynne Slowey – editor-in-chief, IBM Europe.
- Ricky Boleto – BBC TV presenter.
- Mark Evans – CEO of O2.
- Ty Francis MBE - business advocate to the USA for Wales.
- Gary Merritt – Gizzy Gazza, with over 500+ million YouTube video views.
- Alison Howell – award-winning entrepreneur and founder of Foot Trails.
- Wendy Stroud – group people director at New Look.
Solent University, East Park Terrace, Southampton, Hampshire, SO14 0YN