- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Solent is a modern university, offering degree programmes, postgraduate courses and study abroad programmes designed to make students ready to thrive in the global marketplace. Its caring lecturers combine expert knowledge with superb industry experience and contacts. Based on the south coast of England, the city is 1 hour 15 minutes from London by train, has an international airport and is the centre of the UK's international cruise industry.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Silver is awarded to institutions that deliver high-quality teaching, learning and outcomes for their students, and consistently exceed "rigorous national quality requirements" for higher education in the UK. Find out more about TEF.
International Student Statistics
2,840 international students in 2017–18
- Solent University warmly welcome students from across the globe, starting from advice on what course to choose, through to finding accommodation and orientation when students start at the university.
- International students receive pre-arrival information by email a few months before their course starts. This includes information on what to prepare before coming to the UK, welcome and induction timetable with information about arrival and key dates.
- The university offers a meet and greet service on selected dates from specific airports. More information is provided when students receive their offer.
- School or course inductions and social events are also organised so that students can integrate smoothly during their first few weeks.
English Language Requirements
- Foundation degrees: IELTS minimum 5.5 overall (5.0 in each component); or TOEFL iBT 71, with a minimum of 19 in each individual component. Please note TOEFL is only valid for EU students.
- Undergraduate students: IELTS minimum of 6.0 overall (5.5 in each component); or TOEFL iBT minimum 80, with a minimum of 19 in each individual component (or equivalent).
- Postgraduate students: IELTS minimum 6.5 overall (6.0 in writing and 5.5 in reading, listening and speaking); TOEFL iBT 92, with a minimum of 22 in writing and 19 in reading, listening and speaking.
Accommodation for International Students
- Accommodation in student residences is guaranteed for all applicants (including postgraduate, EU and international) entering their first year of study and applying for a standard room by the relevant deadline.
- The university's student residences are a short walk from the university and the city centre and include over 2,000 rooms, with en-suite options available.
- There is no provision in university accommodation for students’ families. Support is provided to assist students with families to source alternative accommodation.
Bursaries and Scholarships
The following scholarships are available for International students; please refer to the university website for details.
- International Academic Merit Scholarship: from £500–2,000 awarded to overseas, EEA and EU students studying a full-time course who exceed the entry criteria for the course. The award will be given as a financial deduction from the course tuition fees (EU students are offered a cash credit). These are limited and applied automatically to students who meet the criteria.
- MBA Executive Scholarship: £1,000–2,000 tuition fee reduction for EU and UK students who meet the work experience criteria. These are applied automatically.
- MBA Executive Scholarship: £2,000–5,000 tuition fee reduction for Overseas students who meet the work experience criteria. These are applied automatically.
- Solent University's international advice team provides information, advice and guidance on a wide range of issues including visas and immigration, life in the UK and employment. They also help with any worries or questions students may have prior to arriving in the UK and after graduation. They offer a drop-in advice service throughout the year and are happy to schedule private appointments with students for more complex matters.
- Graduates who develop innovative and credible business ideas are supported by the university to apply for the Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur Visa scheme. Please refer to the university for details.
International Tuition Fees
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2018–2019). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Undergraduate (£)||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.