Somerset College offers more than 45 degree-level courses, most of which can be studied either full- or part-time. The college works in partnership with Plymouth University and the Open University. Some higher education programmes are offered through Edexcel.
UCAS Code: S28
Student Services and Facilities
- Plenty of part-time work can be found in county town of Somerset, Taunton. Students won’t find a more convenient, safe and welcoming destination anywhere in the South West with such a fantastic mix of shops, restaurants, business parks and leisure facilities.
- The Work Academy is an initiative to assist students sourcing part-time employment during their studies and full-time industry relevant roles after they leave.
- The Work Academy works closely with employers to ensure that once students have graduated with a degree from Somerset College, they are work ready and are able to move directly into the workplace of their chosen sector.
Services provided by the Work Academy include:
- Weekly CV sessions.
- Careers guidance.
- Job search training.
- 1-2-1 support for employment or training needs.
- Developing interview techniques.
- Access to and support for applying to courses in the local area.
- Job application form guidance.
- Putting you in front of recruiting employers.
- Arranging interviews for you with local businesses.
- Developing key business and employment skills.
Other services and facilities
- The Atrium – this college hub houses the Boulevard everything from coffee to cooked meals. A number of services are open to students, staff and the public, managed by staff and run by students. These include Venture Travel, the travel agency; the Hair and Beauty Salon and professional Graduate Hair Salon; plus the Quantock Restaurant, offering speciality coffees and delicious lunches and dinners.
- The in-house printing unit is based in the Art and Design Centre. Services include photocopying, large format printing, a full range of finishing options including bookbinding, laminating and folding. It also stocks a large range of stationery to meet your needs.
- On campus there is an excellent sports hall, sports field and athletics track, used for all kinds of activities including football, volleyball, basketball, netball, dance and trampolining.
- The college has a very active Students’ Union with its own Higher Education President as well as a Welfare Officer, an Events Officer, and a Finance Officer. The union strives to ensure students have a great experience at the college and are always keen to hear student views.
- The Students’ Union organises many social and fundraising events for, and with, students throughout the year, including the annual Fresher’s Fair. This is held at the start of the Academic year and is a great opportunity to meet new friends and enjoy all the activities on offer.
- Recent activities organised by the Student Union have included regular mixed-age nights at local nightclubs, theme park day trips, paintballing, go-karting and various enrichment activities such as salsa classes, DJ club and singing and music club.
- There are also lots of events and activities organised at Halls of Residence which all students over the age of 18 can get involved in.
- Somerset College was founded in 1856.
- It is one of the largest purpose-built art colleges in Europe.
Somerset College , Wellington Road, Taunton, Somerset, TA1 5AX