University of Southampton
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Pre-Arrival and Welcome Arrangements
- Pre-departure briefings are delivered by the university's International Officers within a student's country: these cover everything from the visa process and what to pack, what awaits in Southampton, including registration, inductions and what to expect in a lecture. Students can ask questions and meet other students also going to Southampton. A series of pre-departure webinars cover the same content, and again provide students with the opportunity to ask questions.
- A Welcome website offers a step-by-step guide through the whole process of preparing to come to university; there is also a free online 'Prepare for Success' interactive learning tool.
- A free Meet and Greet service is offered from Heathrow and Gatwick airports to meet students and take them straight to their halls.
- Comprehensive Welcome induction events are specifically aimed at international students covering: registering with a GP, opening a UK bank account, bus and walking tours of Southampton, and meeting current international students who share their experiences and recommendations.
- There is support from the International Office, Accommodation and Student Services teams to ensure students have all the information they require and settle in as quickly as possible, this is in addition to the normal university welcome and Fresher’s activities for all students.
English Language Requirements
The University of Southampton accepts the following:
- English Language Tests: IELTS (International English Language Testing System);
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language);
- Pearson PTE (Academic);
- Trinity College London ISE (Integrated Skills in English);
- Cambridge English: Proficiency and Advanced[ and
- Cambridge English First (FCE), although only acceptable to applicants applying for foundation year programmes.
- Please refer to the university website admissions pages for details.
Accommodation for International Students
- Accommodation is guaranteed for the duration of studies for international undergraduates who meet the conditions and the accommodation application deadline. Accommodation is also guaranteed for international first year masters students.
- The university offers a broad range of accommodation including en-suite; all accommodation has Wi-Fi and students are provided with a free bus pass while staying in university halls.
- The university always tries to keep a good balance between home, EU and international students across halls of residence, to help students make friends from different cultures and have a great university experience. Students do not have to move out during vacations, unless they choose to sign a short contract.
- Should students wish to rent privately the university and the students' union provide extensive support services to help them find a suitable place to rent.
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2017–2018):
|Type of Course||Undergraduate||Taught Postgraduate|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine are the clinical subjects.