- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
The University of Southampton is a global centre for excellence in research and education and a founding member of the UK's prestigious Russell Group. Over 30% of students are international, representing 135 different countries. The university offers 750 academically rigorous courses covering a wide range of disciplines, and professional placements of between eight weeks and a year.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Silver is awarded to institutions that deliver high-quality teaching, learning and outcomes for their students, and consistently exceed "rigorous national quality requirements" for higher education in the UK. Find out more about TEF.
International Student Statistics
5,775 international students in 2017–18
- Pre-departure briefings are offered online and in-country by the university's International Officers, covering everything from applying for visas and accommodation, to what to pack and what students can expect when they arrive in Southampton. Students can ask questions and connect with other students going to the University of Southampton.
- Free online support includes a Welcome website with a step-by-step guide on preparing to come to the university, an interactive learning tool focused on academic study (Prepare for Success), and a course introducing international students to living and studying in the UK and at the University of Southampton (Get Ready For Southampton).
- For two days before the International Welcome events the university runs a meet and greet service from Heathrow and Gatwick, taking students to their new accommodation.
- A comprehensive Welcome Programme includes sessions on registering with a doctor, opening a UK bank account and tours of Southampton to help students get familiar with their new home. Students can make new friends and meet current University of Southampton international students who share their top tips. In addition, there are Fresher's activities for all new students.
English Language Requirements
- The University of Southampton accepts a number of English language tests, including IELTS, TOEFL and Pearson PTE. For other accepted tests, and the level of English language required for individual programmes of study, please refer to the university website admissions pages.
- As with all UK universities, applicants who are required to study the University of Southampton's pre-sessional English programmes must obtain a satisfactory IELTS (Academic) result taken at a UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI)-approved test centre.
Accommodation for International Students
- Accommodation is guaranteed for the duration of studies for international undergraduates who meet the conditions and the accommodation application deadline. Accommodation is also guaranteed for international first year master's students.
- The university offers a broad range of accommodation including en-suite, and all accommodation has Wi-Fi. A bus pass is included for all students in university accommodation, offering free travel across most of the city.
- The university always tries to keep a good balance between home, EU and international students across halls of residence, to help students make friends from different cultures and have a great university experience. Students do not have to move out during vacations, unless they choose to sign a short contract.
- Should students wish to rent privately the university and the Students' Union provide extensive support services to help them find a suitable place.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- The University of Southampton offers Undergraduate Merit Scholarships to international students on selected degree programmes. These are based on academic merit and vary in amount depending on the subject.
- There are also funding opportunities through the university’s network of international partnerships.
- Please refer to the university website for details.
- The University of Southampton has a network of services offering support and information to help international students have an enjoyable and productive time at university. These include a Student Services Centre, a Faith and Reflection Centre, computer and health services.
- The university has fixed fees for international students; fees do not increase each year for non-clinical courses, making it easier to budget.
- Careers support includes placement, volunteering and internship opportunities to help students prepare for their future career and gain relevant work experience. The university's Future Worlds' start-up accelerator offers support for student entrepreneurs including mentoring and networking opportunities.
Quick Guides to International Tuition Fees and Finance
- Find and check tuition fees for specific courses on our Course Chooser.
- Get information about fees and funding for international students.
- Get information about fees and funding for EU students.