University of Southampton
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Why Study Here?
- Students from over 135 nations study with us.
- We have over 350 student societies, including 98 sports clubs.
What Do International Students Study?
English Language Requirements
- The standard English language requirement for undergraduate programmes is 6.5 IELTS, 580 paper-based TOEFL, 92 internet-based TOEFL or GCE O level/GCSE in English (grade C or above).
- International students following a foundation programme at the University of Southampton require at least 5.5 IELTS.
- The required qualification in English language will usually need to have been obtained within the past two years and if you require a Tier 4 visa, you will also need to satisfy the UK Border Agency English language requirements.
- The university offers summer pre-sessional English language courses and English language support during the academic year. Some programmes have specific English language requirements.
Fees and Funding
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2016–2017):
|Type of Course||Undergraduate||Taught Postgraduate|
Bursaries and Scholarships
- We offer a variety of scholarships and progression awards to the most talented students across our subject areas.
- You do not need to apply separately for a scholarship as a decision will be made by the university on the basis of your application and qualifications.
Pre-Arrival and Welcome
- We offer international students a free Meet and Greet service from Heathrow and Gatwick airports.
- We also organise an International and EU Welcome Programme every year in September.
- Activities include sessions on acemic skills, welfare and support services, as well as social activities to get to know the university and the city of Southampton.
Accommodation for International Students
- University accommodation is guaranteed to undergraduate first-year students without dependants, provided that they meet certain conditions and they apply for accommodation before the deadline of 1 August. All our students also have the option to spend a second subsequent year in halls.
- The residences team can provide a list of private rented accommodation. A small number of University flats and houses are available for couples and students with family.
- The majority of rooms are single study-bedrooms with their own phones and have network connection points to the University computer system. Most halls are within easy walking distance of the main campus and are connected through the university unilink bus. The Erasmus hall of residence in Winchester is only 5 minutes walk from the Winchester School of Art.
- We offer both catered and self-catered accommodation.
- All the rooms in university halls of residence have access to broadband internet.
- We always try to keep a good balance between home, EU and international students across our halls of residence. Living with people from other countries helps students to make friends from different cultures and to have a great university experience.
- Students do not have to move out during vacations, unless they choose to sign a short contract.
Organisations for International Students
- The Students’ Union supports 180 student societies (including Mexican, Japanese, Malaysian, Persian and many more international societies) and 98 sport clubs.
- The University of Southampton Malaysia Campus offers undergraduate programmes in mechanical and electrical engineering (teaching will be split between the campuses in the UK and Malaysia).
- The Malaysia branch campus is located within the EduCity@Iskandar development in Iskandar. Iskandar is the nation’s economic zone located in southern Johor, just minutes from Singapore.