University of Southampton
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
- The university welcomes applications from UK or EU postgraduate students for a place in halls, allocated subject to availability. If the university is are unable to offer a place in halls, they can advise students on securing private rented accommodation.
- All full-time registered international (non-EU) postgraduate students coming unaccompanied to the university are offered a place in accommodation during their first year of study, providing certain criteria are met.
The following are the typical annual course fees for postgraduate students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2017–2018). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Taught Postgraduate|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine are the clinical subjects.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- The university offers a wide range of postgraduate scholarships and bursaries, awarded by individual academic units. Students are advised to contact the postgraduate admissions tutor in the relevant academic unit to find out more.
- The Postgraduate Research Scholarship Fund is open to students of all backgrounds and countries of origin.
- Postgraduate research students will become part of a dynamic research community working alongside some of the most talented academics and students and with access to first-class facilities, with more than 90 research course available.
- The university works with over 300 companies worldwide: these strong links with industry open up a wealth of possibilities for postgraduates. These include projects with global businesses such as Rolls-Royce, Lloyd’s Register, Formula 1 and PwC.
- The university is among the top 10% of UK universities for attracting research funding.
What do Postgraduate Students Study?
7,389 postgraduate students in 2015–16:
Mode of study
- Full Time 80%
- Part Time 20%
- UK 45%
- EU 8%
- Other 47%
Numbers of Students by Subject Area
|Business & administrative studies||130||1035||1165|
|Engineering & technology||625||475||1095|
|Subjects allied to medicine||155||835||985|
|Creative arts & design||65||545||610|
|Medicine & dentistry||230||100||330|
|Historical & philosophical studies||130||150||285|
|Mass communications & documentation||10||40||50|
Figures are rounded to the nearest five.