- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
The University of Southampton is a founding member of the Russell Group of research-intensive universities. Students on its postgraduate taught and research courses enjoy an innovative learning experience and contribute to research alongside experts who are changing the world. With a collaborative approach to research and education and strong links with industry, government bodies and charities, graduates have gone on to work with companies including Rolls-Royce, British Airways, Marwell Wildlife, BAE Systems and the NHS.
Postgraduate Student Statistics
7,622 postgraduate students in 2017–18
Mode of study
- Full Time 81%
- Part Time 19%
- UK 45%
- EU 7%
- Other 49%
Numbers of Students by Subject Area
|Business & Management Studies||90||640||725|
|Accounting & Finance||0||580||580|
|Electrical & Electronic Engineering||185||155||340|
|Geography & Environmental Science||160||135||295|
|Art & Design||25||120||150|
|Physics & Astronomy||85||0||85|
|Communication & Media Studies||15||45||65|
|Librarianship & Information Management||5||60||60|
|Aeronautical & Manufacturing Engineering||5||40||40|
|Aural & Oral Sciences||5||35||35|
|Drama, Dance & Cinematics||5||0||5|
|Hospitality, Leisure, Recreation & Tourism||0||5||5|
Figures are rounded to the nearest five.
Postgraduate Tuition Fees
The following are the typical annual course fees for postgraduate students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2018–2019). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- Southampton offers a wide range of postgraduate scholarships and bursaries. Contact the postgraduate admissions team in the relevant school to find out more.
- The Postgraduate Research Scholarship Fund awards 100 scholarships to the best applicants each year; this is open to students of all backgrounds and countries of origin.
Accommodation for Postgraduate Students
- Southampton welcomes applications from UK or EU postgraduate students for a place in halls, which are allocated subject to availability. If the university is unable to offer a place in halls, it can advise students on securing private rented accommodation.