- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
The University of Southampton offers 200 taught courses and more than 90 research courses. It has an entrepreneurial approach and strong links with industry, working with more than 300 companies worldwide. Five university technology centres are hosted with leading organisations including Airbus, the Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI), Lloyd's Register and Rolls-Royce, and graduates have gone on to work with companies including Apple, the BBC, the Ministry of Defence and the NHS.
Postgraduate Student Statistics
7,650 postgraduate students in 2016–17
Mode of study
- Full Time 78%
- Part Time 22%
- UK 47%
- EU 8%
- Other 45%
Numbers of Students by Subject Area
|Art & Design||30||610||640|
|Business & Management Studies||105||470||575|
|Accounting & Finance||0||510||510|
|Electrical & Electronic Engineering||195||145||340|
|Geography & Environmental Science||165||155||320|
|Physics & Astronomy||90||0||90|
|Communication & Media Studies||10||55||65|
|Librarianship & Information Management||5||40||40|
|Aeronautical & Manufacturing Engineering||5||40||40|
|Aural & Oral Sciences||5||30||35|
|Drama, Dance & Cinematics||5||0||5|
|Hospitality, Leisure, Recreation & Tourism||0||5||5|
Figures are rounded to the nearest five.
Postgraduate Tuition Fees
The following are the typical annual course fees for postgraduate students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2018–2019). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- The university offers a wide range of postgraduate scholarships and bursaries, awarded by individual academic units. Students are advised to contact the postgraduate admissions tutor in the relevant academic unit to find out more.
- The Postgraduate Research Scholarship Fund awards 100 scholarships to the best applicants each year; this is open to students of all backgrounds and countries of origin.
Accommodation for Postgraduate Students
- The university welcomes applications from UK or EU postgraduate students for a place in halls, allocated subject to availability. If the university is are unable to offer a place in halls, they can advise students on securing private rented accommodation.
- All full-time registered international (non-EU) postgraduate students coming unaccompanied to the university are offered a place in accommodation during their first year of study, providing certain criteria are met.