University of St Andrews
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
- 4.38 / 5.00
- 3.13 / 4.00
- 0.82 / 1.00
- 83.3 / 100.0
- 91.1 / 100.0
- 96.4 / 100.0
Over the last 600 years, the University of St Andrews has established a reputation as one of the world’s leading research and teaching centres. Today, the university offers a flexible degree structure based on the student's choice of subject specialism or research, creating an environment which nurtures inquisitive minds and a culture of shared learning.
- The university policy is to take into account academic potential as well as achievement in examinations. Please refer to the university website for details.
- References which evidence clear and justifiable potential are treated as important factors.
- A flexible degree structure and modular system, along with over 900 undergraduate courses and a large number of postgraduate opportunities, allows students at the University of St Andrews to immerse themselves in the subjects that they are most passionate about.
- Students typically study modules across a range of schools during their years of sub-honours study.
- The university also offers a range of exchange and study abroad programmes, delivered collaboratively with other institutions, both in the UK and overseas.
Student Services and Facilities
- Free Wi-Fi.
- The university manages 'the best small theatre in Scotland', providing an educational resource, general arts venue and music centre, and is the only Scottish university with a professional Orchestra in Residence.
- Please refer to the university website for details.
- Please refer to the university website for details of the Students' Association.
Availability of Part-Time Work
- 45% students are in paid work during semesters.
- The university Careers Centre offers impartial and objective advice and guidance.
- Its careers advisers have sector and school-based specialisms, and are experienced at advising undergraduate and postgraduate students and graduates on any career-related topics.
- Resources include drop-in and bookable appointments with advisers, a Job Shop vacancy service, access to alumni networks, support for student enterprise, summer internship schemes, advice on postgraduate study, and in depth support for international students including visa information and support.
10,745 students in 2015–16:
Level of study
- Undergraduate 75%
- Postgraduate 25%
Mode of study
- Full Time 89%
- Part Time 11%
Where students come from
- UK 53%
- EU 14%
- Other 33%
- Male 42%
- Female 58%
- Founded in 1413, St Andrews is the oldest university in Scotland and third oldest university in the English speaking world.
- There is no university campus as the university is integrated with the town; ancient buildings are juxtaposed with modern science facilities.
- John Napier – inventor of the logarithm.
- James Wilson – one of the fathers of the American Constitution.
- Sir James Black – Nobel Prize Winner.
- Alex Salmond – former First Minister of Scotland.
- Fay Weldon – author, best known for The Life and Loves of a She-Devil.
- Siobhan Redmon – actress.
- Michael Forsythe – actor.
- Crispin Bonham-Carter – actor.
- Hazel Irvine – broadcaster.
- HRH Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, and HRH Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge.
|Address||University of St Andrews
St Katherine's West
16 The Scores