University of St Andrews
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
The University of St Andrews creates a close-knit, safe, welcoming community of scholars from across 140 countries. A highly-connected global university, it is the first Scottish university to join the Europaeum, an 'international university without walls'. An international student befriending scheme, run by the chaplaincy, connects students to volunteers to help them settle in, practise their English, learn about Scottish traditions and visit places of interest.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Gold is awarded to institutions that consistently deliver outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for their students. Find out more about TEF.
International Student Statistics
5,960 international students in 2017–18
- Students can receive one-to-one advice pre-arrival from the Student Services staff on all aspects of coming to and living in the UK.
- The university's Orientation programme is inclusive to all new students, with tailored events.
- The university also runs a popular Family Programme for the parents of current undergraduate students. This enables families to be part of the St Andrews community, keeps them up to date with university news, and provides a service allowing parents to send loved ones baked treats during term time.
English Language Requirements
- The University of St Andrews welcomes students from all over the world. To ensure that all students can benefit fully from their chosen programme, applicants are required to provide evidence of their ability to speak and write English effectively.
- Please refer to the university website for details.
Accommodation for International Students
- Undergraduate students who submit their accommodation application by the relevant deadline are guaranteed first year university accommodation.
- The University of St Andrews offers both self-catered and catered accommodation. Students can indicate their preferred type of accommodation on their application form; fees vary depending on the type of accommodation.
- Residences range from beautiful stone-built listed buildings full of original period features, to stylish new apartments, built to high environmental and sustainability standards. All residences have Wi-Fi.
- The university tries to allocate international students throughout its residences as evenly as possible. University accommodation is spread around St Andrews, and all within walking distance of university buildings.
- The only time students need to move out completely is at the end of the academic year, at the end of May. The catered residences do not include the Christmas break but students can store their belongings in their room over this period.
International Tuition Fees
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2018–2019). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Undergraduate (£)||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.