University of St Andrews
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Why Study Here?
- Approximately 30% of the student body join from overseas, with some 1,500 undergraduates representing more than 120 different nationalities.
- At St Andrews there are students from almost every state in the USA representing around 15% of the student population.
- Others arrive from Japan, China, Australia, Singapore, Malaysia, Africa, India, the West Indies... the list goes on.
What Do International Students Study?
English Language Requirements
- Please refer to our website for full details regarding our English language requirements.
Fees and Funding
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2016–2017):
|Type of Course||Undergraduate||Taught Postgraduate|
Bursaries and Scholarships
- St Andrews has a range of scholarships and bursaries available for students.
- The scholarships are awarded as a tuition fee reduction of up to £4,000 for each year of a student's undergraduate studies.
Pre-Arrival and Welcome
- Students can receive one-to-one advice pre-arrival from Student Services staff on all aspects of coming to and living in the UK.
- The university's orientation programme is inclusive to all new students with category specific events. International students have an International Students Talk, A Taste of Scotland and Study Skills, but can also attend all the other events in the Orientation Programme.
Accommodation for International Students
- The University of St Andrews offers both self-catered and catered accommodation. Students can indicate their preferred type of accommodation on their application form.
- Residences range from beautiful stone-built listed buildings full of original period features, to stylish new apartments, built to high environmental and sustainability standards. All residences have wi-fi.
- We try to spread all nationalities through the residence system as evenly as possible. The university accommodation is spread around St Andrews, the furthest 1.5 miles away from the university buildings.
- The only time students need to move out completely is at the end of the academic year, at the end of May. The Catered Residences do not include the Christmas break but students can store their belongings in their room over this period.
- Undergraduate students who submit their accommodation application by 31 May are guaranteed first year university accommodation.
- Fees vary depending on the type of accommodation.
Organisations for International Students
- The Students Association is home to over 140 societies including the Chinese Hongpao Society, Hispanic, Hong Kong, Hungarian, Greek, and Kazakh – to name but a few!
- See a full list of student organisations on our website.