University of St Andrews
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
The University of St Andrews offers a broad range of postgraduate studies, with over 1,000 postgraduates studying in one of its four Faculties of Arts, Divinity, Medicine and Science. The scale of the university allows it to compete successfully to fund groundbreaking research, while being small enough to provide individual attention to its students. A new Graduate School boasts a range of interdisciplinary subjects and the university also offers collaborative programmes and distance learning.
Postgraduate Student Statistics
2,080 postgraduate students in 2016–17
Mode of study
- Full Time 85%
- Part Time 15%
- UK 37%
- EU 24%
- Other 40%
Numbers of Students by Subject Area
|Business & Management Studies||20||255||275|
|Theology & Religious Studies||65||60||125|
|Physics & Astronomy||80||25||105|
|History of Art, Architecture & Design||15||45||60|
|Geography & Environmental Science||25||35||60|
|Classics & Ancient History||25||10||35|
|Librarianship & Information Management||0||30||30|
|Communication & Media Studies||20||5||20|
|Middle Eastern & African Studies||10||5||10|
|Anatomy & Physiology||5||0||5|
Figures are rounded to the nearest five.
Postgraduate Tuition Fees
The following are the typical annual course fees for postgraduate students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2018–2019). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- The University of St Andrews offers a number of postgraduate scholarships each year. The availability of scholarships may vary according to the area of study and fee status.
- Additionally, there are various resources available to postgraduate students seeking funding, including options outside the university.
- The university also endeavours to provide financial advice and assistance to postgraduate students who are struggling with money worries.
Accommodation for Postgraduate Students
- The university is investing in a new affordable housing development in St Andrews specifically for postgraduates and early career staff.
- Accommodation for postgraduate students includes university-owned, university-managed, or private sector.
- The university has a small selection of accommodation within halls of residences for couples; students with families will have to seek either university-managed properties or private accommodation.