St George's, University of London
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
St George's, University of London is the UK's only university specialising in medicine, healthcare and science. Set in a suburban neighbourhood just over 20 minutes' Tube ride from central London, it welcomes students from over 60 countries across the world each year. Students benefit from a first-class education at one of the UK's oldest medical schools, located next to one of the UK's busiest hospitals, while living in one of the most socially and culturally diverse cities in the world.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
TEF Bronze is awarded to institutions that deliver teaching, learning and outcomes for their students that meet "rigorous national quality requirements" for higher education in the UK. Find out more about TEF.
International Student Statistics
750 international students in 2017–18
- Prior to arrival, the International Advising team assign new international students to an international student Buddy or mentor from an older year.
- Students are sent a pre-departure guide prior to arriving in the UK. This comprehensive guide includes checklists and information about what to do before leaving home, arrival in the UK, settling in, support services at St George's, daily life in the UK and advice from current international students.
- On arrival, the International Advising team organise various events for international students as part of the university's induction – including a tour of London, a peer panel and buffet lunch. There is also a mandatory welcome session for international students which covers a range of topics including registering with a doctor, opening a bank account, and understanding culture shock.
English Language Requirements
- GCSE/IGCSE English as a first language grade B.
- IELTS: 6.5–7.0 overall, depending on the course, with specific requirements for each skill.
- Other accepted qualifications include TOEFL and the PTE.
Accommodation for International Students
- Accommodation is guaranteed for first year students. The guarantee only applies to incoming first year students who are holding 'firm offers' and who make their application for accommodation by early July. Please refer to the university website for details.
- All rooms are en-suite with standard rooms and premium rooms available. The accommodation is around 15 minutes' walk from the university.
- The university recommends that students budget for a 42-week academic year, although this may be longer for some courses.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- St George's has a large scholarship offering for postgraduate study. All postgraduate students that submit an application before the scholarship deadline will be considered for one of the university's scholarships based on the strength of their course application.
- St George's has an EU and international hardship fund to support students who experience financial difficulty during their course.
- Please refer to the university website for details.
- The International Advising Team are a dedicated specialist team, supporting international students from application all the way through to graduation – they can be contacted by email, phone or in person. Ongoing support includes advice and information on non-academic matters such as visas and immigration, the implications of making a change to study, and post study work visa options.
- The International Advising Team organise various social events throughout the year including monthly international lunches, a Chinese New Year dinner and end of year barbecue.