University of Strathclyde
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Why Study Here?
- The University of Strathclyde is a leading international technological university. It is committed to the highest standards of teaching, research and knowledge exchange, and has an excellent track record of making technologies and innovation applicable for the benefit of society and the environment.
- Through its strong links with industry and the delivery of practical, innovative and career driven courses, Strathclyde provides learning experiences that make students globally employable. As a result, we have a world-leading reputation for our work with businesses and organisations, large and small. We are ranked 7th in the UK for spin-out company creation.
- Research is of central importance – it informs our teaching and helps us to make a difference to business, industry and society as a whole. We are now among the top 20 research intensive universities in the UK with our Department of Physics ranked no 1.
- University of Strathclyde International Study Centre provides specialist degree preparation for international students. It is designed to offer the best opportunity to succeed in achieving a recognised degree within a practical learning environment.
What Do International Students Study?
English Language Requirements
- The university’s general entry requirements are IELTS 6.5, with no less than 5.5 in each component.
- Some courses may require a higher, or accept a lower result. Students are advised to check the requirements of the specific course of interest.
Fees and Funding
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2016–2017):
|Type of Course||Undergraduate||Taught Postgraduate|
Bursaries and Scholarships
- Several departments at Strathclyde offer scholarships to international undergraduate and postgraduate students.
- There is a variety of scholarships on offer, ranging from £2,000 up to £20,000 with cover from tuition and tools/equipment to living costs and childcare.
- Detailed information an how to apply can be found through the university's scholarship search engine found on our website.
Pre-Arrival and Welcome
- The University of Strathclude provides online pre-arrival information, an airport meet and greet service (for which students can register online).
- In Semester 1 a week of orientation activities is held. This includes an orientation session for all new international students, bank account opening sessions, campus tours, social activities and much more.
- In Semester 2 we offer the airport meet and greet and an orientation session for new international students.
Accommodation for International Students
- New undergraduates are given high priority for accommodation as long as they apply (and have an unconditional academic offer) by 25 August.
- All university accommodation is self-catered, with wi-fi.
- International students are spread throughout accommodation.
- Accommodation contracts run from September to June for undergraduate students and September to September for postgraduate students; students do not have to move out during Christmas or Easter holidays.
- Single room in standard accommodation £104 per week; en-suite room £129. Heating and lighting are included (2015–16).
Organisations for International Students
- There are a number of student organisations which come either under the umbrella of clubs and societies within the Student Union or are independent.
- A weekly update, sent from the Advice Centre, details on and off campus activities that may be of interest to international students.
- Some departments have events and groups set up to make the transition easier, like an annual Welcome Lunch, where students meet other new students in a similar situation.
- In addition, a weekly international pub night is organised for international students to meet up informally and off campus.
- Strathclyde Executive MBA – International Centres (study your MBA locally in Singapore, Malaysia, Switzerland, Greece, Bahrain, Dubai, Oman or Abu Dhabi).