We use cookies to ensure the best user experience and to serve tailored advertising. To learn more about our cookies and how to manage them, please visit our cookie policy

Financing your studies

Are you eligible for student finance?

Unsure if you can apply for student finance? We look at the eligibility criteria for home fees across the UK.

Students listening to a lecturer in the classroom


CORONAVIRUS UPDATE: In spite of the uncertainties created by the current situation, you must apply for student finance as usual. Funding agencies are working hard to process all applications.


Who's eligible for home fees in the UK?

Your eligibility for student finance depends on a number of different factors, such as where you live and what you’re studying. 

This list is an overview of the common eligibility criteria for England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. For full details, please refer to the student finance body for the relevant nation or the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA).

Where you live – general residence criteria

Where you normally live before you start studying determines which nation you apply for funding in. To apply for student finance in one of the UK’s four nations (England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland), you:

  • Must normally live in that nation
  • Must have been living in the UK for three years up to when you start your course (‘on the first day of the first academic year of your course’)
  • Must be a UK national or have 'settled status' – in other words, no restriction of how long you can stay in the UK

If you've moved to a different UK nation because you want to study there, that doesn't count as being 'ordinarily resident'. If you've been temporarily abroad, or away with the UK Armed Forces, you're usually still eligible for support.

If you don't meet the general residence criteria, there are some exceptions where you may still be able to apply for student finance. These include:

  • You’re the child of a Swiss national or the child of a Turkish worker in the UK
  • You or a close relative live in the UK and are recognised as a refugee, or have been granted humanitarian protection
  • You or a close relative are an EEA or Swiss migrant worker
  • You’re staying in the UK as a stateless person, having lived legally in the UK for three years before your course

If you’re an EU student

Each of the UK's nations have confirmed that EU students starting a degree in the academic year 2020 (and before) will be eligible for financial support for the duration of their course on the same basis as they are currently.

If you or a family member are an EU national and have lived in the EEA or Switzerland for the three years before your course begins, you're eligible for a tuition fee loan that you’ll eventually have to pay back.

The fees charged to EU students are the same as for home students. This includes Scotland and Northern Ireland, where other students from the 'rest of the UK' (RUK) are charged more.

If you normally live in the UK nation you’re applying to for student finance, and didn't move there for the purpose of studying, you may also qualify for living cost support. To be eligible, you must have lived in the UK for at least three years before the start of your course (five years if resident in England).

If you’re an international student

Universities and colleges will usually charge you higher fees than home/EU students. You’re unlikely to get financial support from the UK student loans system unless you meet one of the residence exceptions outlined above. If you qualify for student finance on these grounds, you're considered a home/EU student and tuition fees would be charged accordingly.

For any queries about visas and eligibility for international students, refer to UKCISA.

Your age

There's no age limit for tuition fee loans or grants. To get a maintenance loan, you must be under 60 on the first day of the first academic year of your course. If you change to a different course after turning 60 years old, you’ll no longer be eligible for a maintenance loan. In England, over-60s can access a means-tested loan for living costs.

Where you study

To get student finance, you must study your course at a publicly funded UK university. Or if you study at a private institution, your course must be approved for public funding. The tuition fees charged by private institutions may be higher than the tuition loan you get, in which case you’ll have to fund the difference.

If you’re from Northern Ireland or Scotland, you can also apply for funding to study a degree in the Republic of Ireland. It’s not yet known what'll happen after the UK’s transition period of leaving the EU.

What you study

Type of course

Your course must be a 'recognised' course. The following types of courses are all eligible for undergraduate student finance. If you’re unsure whether your course is eligible, check with your university or student finance body.

Examples of eligible courses:

  • First degree
  • Foundation degree
  • Certificate of Higher Education
  • Diploma of Higher Education
  • Higher National Certificate (HNC)
  • Higher National Diploma (HND)
  • Postgrad Certificate of Education (PGCE/PGDE in Scotland)
  • Initial Teacher Training (ITT/ITE)
  • Integrated Master's degree
  • A pre-registration postgraduate healthcare course (English-resident students)

On some courses you may be eligible for money from other public funds – such as the NHS bursary, where this is still available. If you get public money from a different source, this may affect whether you're eligible for other student finance or how much you might receive.

Part-time study

If you study part-time, your eligibility for student finance depends on the 'course intensity'. To get a loan, you need a minimum course intensity of 25%. This would be a course that takes four times as long as the full-time equivalent, where you study roughly 30 credits a year.

Depending on your household income, you may get financial support towards your tuition fees and some course costs. Maintenance loans are only available in England and Wales. Welsh residents who study a second degree part-time in certain subjects may also be able to access funding.

Be aware that if you’re a part-time student, you’ll begin paying your student loan back four years after beginning your course, even if you've not yet completed your studies. But repayments are only taken if your income is above the threshold for loan repayments.

Previous study at the same or higher level

Usually, student finance is only available if you’re studying for your first degree. You may be able to get further student finance if you’re studying a postgraduate teaching course or certain healthcare courses.

If you previously started but then withdrew from a course, you may only be entitled to partial funding. This'll depend on how long you previously studied for. If you get only partial support, it’s down to you to fund the rest of your course.

What you need to do

If you meet the criteria, you can find more details on eligibility for student finance for each UK nation:

If you’re not sure you meet the criteria, check the UKCISA website for more guidance on home and overseas fees. In the information for each UK nation, there are detailed definitions of criteria used to determine fee status.

Everyone has different circumstances – talk to universities or funding organisations directly if you have questions about your personal circumstances.

Note that universities have the discretion to decide each case based on individual circumstances. None of this will affect the way you’ll be considered for admission to the university (these decisions are based purely on academic merit).

Related articles

Forensic expert collects evidence at the crime scene

Forensic Science guide

Forensic Science is an exciting area of study ‒ there's something undeniably intriguing...

05 Mar 2020
Young male student with headphones studying on the laptop

Postgraduate funding

Postgraduate loans, or master's loans, have different rules for eligibility and funding...

20 Mar 2020
Students walking around at a university open day

What's a university open day?

University open days are an opportunity to gather more information about an institution,...

11 Feb 2020

Is this page useful?

Yes No

Sorry about that...



Thanks for your feedback!