University of Sussex
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
The University of Sussex is a world-leading research university, just 9 minutes from the cosmopolitan city of Brighton, offering a broad range of taught and research postgraduate programmes spanning the arts, humanities, sciences and social sciences. A mixed approach to research and learning that removes traditional boundaries between subject areas and departments is led by some of the foremost academics in their fields, each driven by the belief that knowledge inspires positive change.
Postgraduate Student Statistics
4,573 postgraduate students in 2017–18
Mode of study
- Full Time 84%
- Part Time 16%
- UK 49%
- EU 8%
- Other 43%
Numbers of Students by Subject Area
|Business & Management Studies||25||620||645|
|Accounting & Finance||5||260||265|
|Communication & Media Studies||25||220||240|
|Geography & Environmental Science||35||95||130|
|Physics & Astronomy||90||30||120|
|Anatomy & Physiology||35||10||45|
|History of Art, Architecture & Design||15||25||40|
|Librarianship & Information Management||0||30||30|
|Electrical & Electronic Engineering||0||15||15|
|Drama, Dance & Cinematics||5||0||5|
Figures are rounded to the nearest five.
Postgraduate Tuition Fees
The following are the typical annual course fees for postgraduate students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2018–2019). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- The university offers scholarships that recognise and reward students who are at the top of their game in a range of qualifications before coming to Sussex. Please refer to the university website to find out more.
Accommodation for Postgraduate Students
- University-managed housing is guaranteed for full-time, first-year PhD students studying for a full academic year. This is dependent on the submission of a housing application and pre-payment of £300 before the relevant deadline.
- Please refer to the university website for details on housing guarantees and application deadlines.