University of Sussex
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
The University of Sussex has pioneered a mixed approach to research and learning, removing the traditional boundaries between subject areas and departments, encouraging collaboration and innovation. Its students are thoughtful, critical and brave, and go on to shape both policy and practice in economics, health, culture, climate change and more. A broad range of taught and research postgraduate programmes span the arts, sciences and social sciences.
Postgraduate Student Statistics
4,655 postgraduate students in 2016–17
Mode of study
- Full Time 84%
- Part Time 16%
- UK 48%
- EU 8%
- Other 43%
Numbers of Students by Subject Area
|Business & Management Studies||30||805||830|
|Accounting & Finance||5||310||310|
|Communication & Media Studies||15||155||175|
|Physics & Astronomy||90||30||125|
|Geography & Environmental Science||40||75||115|
|Anatomy & Physiology||35||25||55|
|History of Art, Architecture & Design||10||30||40|
|Librarianship & Information Management||0||25||25|
|Electrical & Electronic Engineering||0||15||15|
|Drama, Dance & Cinematics||5||0||5|
Figures are rounded to the nearest five.
The following are the typical annual course fees for postgraduate students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2017–2018). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.
Bursaries and Scholarships
- The university offers a range of generous scholarships for UK and international students, at both Masters and PhD level.
- Please refer to the university website to find out more about Sussex postgraduate scholarships.
Accommodation for Postgraduate Students
- University-managed housing is guaranteed for students who are either full-time Masters students from outside the European Union, studying for the full academic year; or full-time, first-year PhD students studying for a full academic year. This is dependent on the submission of a housing application and pre-payment of £300 before the relevant deadline.
- Please refer to the university website for details on housing guarantees and application deadlines.