University of Sussex
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
The University offers a broad range of postgraduate courses across the arts and humanities, the social sciences and science, engineering and medicine.
- Our portfolio is based on principles of interdisciplinarity, research-led teaching in an international context, inclusiveness, diversity and citizenship.
- Sussex continuously develops attractive new postgraduate provision in areas of academic demand – with specialist courses within areas such as business and finance, climate change, cancer cell biology, computing and digital media, filmmaking, international security, journalism and museum curating.
- We enjoy many successful business collaborations, enabling our taught courses to be informed by industry.
- We also offer an exciting range of research opportunities within a research environment where in 2014 98% of our research was ranked as ‘world-leading’, ‘internationally excellent’, or ‘internationally recognized (Research Excellence Framework 2014).
- The university offers more than 150 taught Masters courses, over 50 research courses (PhD) and a number of intensive conversion courses with routes to a profession in law, teaching, psychology and social work.
Subject areas for postgraduate study
Arts and Humanities
- American studies, Art history, English, Gender, History, Media and film, Music, Philosophy
- Anthropology, Business and management, Economics, Education and social work, Geography, International development, International relations, Migration, Law, Politics, Sociology, Science policy research
- Astronomy, Engineering, Informatics, Life sciences, Mathematics, Medicine and health studies, Physics, Psychology
Support for postgraduate students
- We are committed to rewarding excellence and supporting our students to undertake postgraduate study by offering a wide range of Masters scholarships that few other universities can match. We also offer over 100 PhD awards annually.
- We provide guaranteed dedicated postgraduate accommodation for research students in their first year and for non-EU masters students.
Learning resources and academic support
- Whether a taught or research postgraduate student we provide top class learning resources and extensive academic support throughout your time at Sussex.
- With over 4,600 international students and teaching and research staff from 120 countries, we offer an excellent package for international students with extensive support both prior to arrival and during your studies at Sussex.
What do Postgraduate Students Study?
The 3,390 postgraduate students enrolled in the academic year 2014/15 comprise:
Mode of study
- Full Time 76%
- Part Time 24%
- UK 57%
- EU 8%
- Other 35%
Numbers of Students by Subject Area
|Business & administrative studies||38||454||492|
|Historical & philosophical studies||71||97||168|
|Mass communications & documentation||12||135||147|
|Engineering & technology||37||55||92|
|Creative arts & design||36||29||65|
|Subjects allied to medicine||16||0||16|
Type of Qualification:
Postgraduate Fees and Funding
The following are the typical annual course fees for postgraduate students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2016–2017):
|Type of Course||Taught Postgraduate|