Pre-Arrival and Welcome Arrangements

  • British Council accredited English Language Training Services offer year-round courses in academic English that prepare students for university study.
  • A week of welcome and orientation events runs in September with friendly students available to help new students settle in quickly.
  • The university provides a coach collection service from Heathrow.

English Language Requirements

English language scores for Swansea’s undergraduate courses are:

  • IELTS: 6.0 minimum for most courses. Some courses may require a higher score – students are encouraged to check individual course requirements before submitting an application; or 
  • TOEFL: 213; or 
  • TOEFL (IBT): 79.

Most academic departments will ask for a minimum IELTS score of 6.5 (or equivalent) for postgraduate degrees. Please refer to the university website for individual course requirements.

Accommodation for International Students

  • New undergraduates are guaranteed a room in residences if they apply before the relevant deadline.
  • Accommodation is at Singleton Park or off campus in Hendrefoelan Student Village, and at the beachfront Bay Campus, which are all en-suite. Free Wi-Fi in all bedrooms.
  • There is adapted accommodation for wheelchair users and mobility, visually and/or hearing impaired students.

Tuition Fees

The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2017–2018). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.

Type of Course Undergraduate Taught Postgraduate
Classroom £12,950–14,550 £9,100–17,000
Mixed £14,800–16,800 £13,700
Laboratory £15,000–18,450 £15350–18950
Clinical - -
Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
Dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine are the clinical subjects.

What Do International Students Study?