The Open University
- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
- International Students
OU students study in their own homes and workplaces, taking courses whose materials and methods are specifically designed for this type of distance learning. All students have named tutors, and most also have the opportunity to meet tutors and other students at local tutorials. The university's methods allow for study anywhere in the UK and in many other parts of the world.
UCAS Code: O11
Level of study
- Undergraduate 93%
- Postgraduate 7%
Mode of study
- Part Time 100%
Where students come from
- UK 100%
- Male 38%
- Female 62%
Student Services and Facilities
- An online library provides access to e-books and e-journals, as well as databases for research articles. Useful information sources are identified, including statistics, conference papers, law cases, and past theses and dissertations.
- The library building at Walton Hall is open during the week.
- A chat service can connect students to a librarian for support, 24/7, and there is also training and events.
- Careers support includes webinars and forum chats on specific topics, a LinkedIn group, and a jobs and employability bulletin. Registered students can also request a careers consultation.
- Visit the university's website for information about services for disabled students.
- All students registered to study with the OU are automatically members of the Open University Students' Association (OUSA), which is run by students for students. It has a network of local branches and representatives throughout the OU regions, as well as operating centrally.
- The university was given its Royal Charter in 1969.
- Since then, it has become the UK's largest university; more than two million people have studied with the OU since its opening. Today more than 30% of all part-time undergraduate students in the UK study with the OU.
Notable Alumni and Famous Faces
- Lenny Henry – comedian and actor.
- Myleene Klass – singer, musician and radio presenter.
- Jerry Hall – model.
The Open University, PO Box 197, Milton Keynes, MK7 6BJ