- Undergraduate Students
- Postgraduate Students
Ulster University welcomes international students to its four campuses: Belfast, the cultural heart and capital city; Coleraine, on one of the world’s most stunning coastlines; Jordanstown, a suburban campus on the Lough shore, seven miles from Belfast; and Magee (City of Culture 2013) which offers students a friendly atmosphere with an intimate learning environment.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
This institution did not take part in the TEF. Participation is voluntary. Find out more about TEF.
International Student Statistics
1,965 international students in 2016–17
- The International Student Experience Team engages with international students well in advance of their arrival at Ulster. The university website also provides lots of pre-arrival advice and assistance.
- A one-week Welcome Programme runs in September and January prior to the start of term. Orientation offers international students the opportunity to: get to know our campuses; meet academic and support staff and other students; attend a range of information sessions and social events designed to help new students settle in at Ulster.
- A meet and greet service is provided at both Belfast International and Belfast City airports, with onward travel provided to the relevant campus.
English Language Requirements
- Most courses require a minimum of IELTS 6.0 (with no contributing band less than 5.5), or Pearson Test of English (PTE) 56 (with no less than 51 in each part), or GCSE/GCE Ordinary Level in English Language: Grade C (or equivalent).
- The university also accepts a range of other secure English language tests.
- Ulster offers a range of English language courses to prepare students for academic study at the university.
Accommodation for International Students
- All international students who have firmly accepted an offer and have applied before the relevant deadline are guaranteed accommodation.
- All university accommodation is self-catered, with access to shared kitchen facilities, and includes free Wi-Fi and/or Internet access. All locations are within a five-minute walk of the campus.
- International students are integrated with home students throughout university accommodation, and international students do not need to move out during vacation times.
- Adapted accessible accommodation is available for students with mobility needs.
- A range of accommodation is available off-campus for students seeking more independent living.
- The university offers a range of scholarships to support students with living and accommodation costs. These are open to all applicants and students can apply directly through the university.
International Tuition Fees
The following are the typical annual course fees for overseas students submitted to us by the university (Reddin Survey of University Tuition Fees 2018–2019). Always confirm individual course fees with the university.
|Type of Course||Undergraduate (£)||Taught Postgraduate (£)|
- Teaching takes place in a classroom or ordinary lecture theatre. Subjects with classroom teaching might include history, maths and philosophy.
- Subjects taught in classrooms and laboratories, such as languages.
- Much of the teaching may take place in a laboratory and includes biology, chemistry and physics.
- Clinical subjects can include dentistry, medicine and veterinary medicine.