Applying to University and UCAS Deadlines
All applications to UK universities for full-time undergraduate courses are made through UCAS (Universities and Colleges Admissions Service).
- Regardless of the course or university that you're applying to, you'll need to have a good grasp of the UCAS deadlines you're facing, as missing them could jeopardise your application.
- As is the case with any deadline, do not leave your application to the last minute. From March to September research courses and universities attend open days, higher education fairs and conferences.
The infographic below contains the full list of UCAS deadlines and key dates for students applying for 2018 entry. Some of the dates may not be relevant to you, but make sure to read it through and note down any that are. And remember, it never hurts to be organised long before a deadline!
The application process varies depending on the type of institution you’re applying for, the level of degree and how you are choosing to study.
UCAS' online application procedure is called 'Apply'.
- UCAS works closely with schools, colleges, libraries and other agencies to ensure that all applicants have access to this system.
- Apply is available on the UCAS website alongside details of all the courses available so you can apply from any computer with access to the internet.
- Read our advice on filling in your application.
- If you're a performing arts student, you may want to apply to a conservatoire. Applications to most of these institutions need to be made through UCAS Conservatoires, and you can read about more about this system and the key dates here. Many colleges also recruit through the UCAS system. Along with universities, these institutions help to make up the list of over 700 providers featured in our Course Chooser.
- Applications to part-time courses are slightly different, and you will need to contact universities individually to find out how to apply.
- If you are looking for postgraduate study, some are accessed via UCAS' UKPASS service, while others are processed by direct application. Read more about postgraduate applications here.
UCAS Application Deadlines – Key Dates for 2018 Entry
If you miss the January deadline, you can still apply up until 30 June 2018 (by 18:00 UK time). But be aware, universities do not have to accept your application, and applications will be marked as 'late'.
Many schools and colleges will encourage students to apply well before the 15 January deadline, with early November a common school/college deadline. This allows the school to add things such as references, and check personal statements and choices.