Bournemouth is home to 7 miles of sandy beaches, a thriving arts scene and areas of outstanding natural beauty. The town offers great shopping, a varied and active nightlife, music and comedy.
Nightlife and culture
- AUB is in a town with two universities, so the local area is buzzing with students. From nightclubs to bars and lounges, there's something for everyone.
- Bournemouth has every type of food and drink. As well as all the standard chains there are thriving independent restaurants, cafés and bars.
- Nearby venues include the O2 Academy, Bournemouth International Centre (BIC), Pavilion Theatre and the Lighthouse. These regularly feature music, theatre and comedy.
- Cinemas in town range from the massive Odeon at BH2 to the tiny Bournemouth Colosseum (the UK's smallest cinema) in Westbourne.
- AFC Bournemouth is in the football Premier League, hosting matches against all Premiership clubs.
- Halls of residence offer modern self-contained studio flats and traditional en suite shared flats.
- For 2020 entry, on-campus halls will be available for applicants. Other halls are a short bus ride away in the town centre.
- Bournemouth has a thriving and high quality private accommodation market with assistance available from AUB.
- Accommodation is allocated based on distance from Bournemouth, with all students accommodated in previous years.
- All AUB accommodation is en suite. Flats have a shared kitchen and dining area. Studio apartments have their own kitchens.
Accommodation costs 2019/2020
£155- £170 per week
- The SU runs a student publication – BUMF – and assists with the student-led BUMF:Gallery.
- Each year the SU plants a tree for each new student, to help toward carbon offsetting their time at university.
- AUBSU provide support in all areas of university life: education, welfare, employment, sports, clubs, events and societies.
- Bournemouth has a good network of bike lanes. AUB provides sheltered cycle racks on campus and at halls of residence.
- Bournemouth has its own university bus service linking campus to halls of residence, the train station and the town centre.
- Direct trains are available to London (less than 2 hours), Southampton, Winchester, Oxford, Birmingham and Manchester.
- National Express coach services leave from campus and the train station to London and all London airports.
- From the town centre or beaches the campus is a 10-minute drive, 15–20-minute bike or bus ride, and a 1-hour walk.
- The AUB Careers Service provides details of part-time opportunities including a part time careers fair.
- A wide range of part-time work is available in Bournemouth. Many seasonal job opportunities are available during the summer.
- AUB Students' Union advertises creative opportunities. AUB also offers paid student ambassador roles.
Whatuni student ratings
What do students say?
University reviews collected by whatuni.com. Discover what students say about their experience at this university.
21st / 131 universities
COURSE & LECTURERS4.0
53rd / 131 universities
10th / 98 universities
20th / 131 universities